Application Security Engineer at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
As Discovery's portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Product Security team is building the people, technology and process to partner with Discovery’s direct-to-consumer, media technology, and IT systems to meet the world-class standard for which Discovery is known.
Within the broader Information Security team, there has never been a busier or more urgent time to obtain the best talent we can for a function so critical to Discovery. The Information Security Team at Discovery is a growing group of cybersecurity professionals, that are using the latest tools and resources to protect the assets from our internal infrastructure to the shows we broadcast across the globe on Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery ID, TLC, EuroSport and more. From the US to Singapore, India to LA, we are tasked with protecting, training, and implementing the best of the best in tools, resources, monitoring, threat detection, and more.
As an Application Security Engineer, you will work on a cross-functional Product Security team supporting Discovery’s Information Security and Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) organizations. This is a key role within the Information Security organization that will be focused on application security for our streaming media service and other supporting applications. The Application Security Engineer will be a valued partner to development and engineering teams to ensure secure architectures, patterns, and solutions are created and maintained. This person will work closely with Discovery’s DTC product teams and will build a community of practice with developers within DTC to support effective communication and collaboration. This person will be the subject matter expert for secure code development and will work with various application engineering teams to develop alternatives for remediation of vulnerabilities.
- are passionate about web and mobile application security
- want to work in an international, face-paced company
- want to learn how to secure consumer-facing applications
- would like to be a part of an experienced team of practitioners opened to sharing their knowledge
- want to learn how to implement security into SDLC (CI\CD)
- want to have a visible impact on the security of a large suite of products
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Be creative and solve problems with solutions that can scale
- Run, maintain, and utilize security tools for the Appsec program
- Review and contribute to application designs and solutions
- Collaborate with development teams to ensure secure coding best practices are followed
- Assist with code reviews
- Perform security and risk assessments for consumer-facing applications and services
- Identify and define application security requirements and security baselines
- Work collaboratively and proactively across the organization with Product Teams on Application Security initiatives
- Communicate Findings/Remediation Guidance/Security Design Patterns to development teams
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging secure application technologies/products/trends
- Actively and continuously share role-specific knowledge with team members and product teams
- 3+ years of experience with application security/penetration testing work
- Thorough understanding of common security risks in web/mobile applications and web APIs
- Experience building and deploying solutions with modern programming languages in a cloud environment
- Experience in code reviews, business logic assessments, and application security testing
- Solid understanding of security protocols, cryptography, authentication, authorization
- Experience with application security tools like Burp Suite and ZAP
- Experience with testing methods such as SAST/DAST/IAST
- Experience working with Agile development/Scrum teams
- Experience incorporating security requirements into a SDLC
- Experience working in CI Systems such as Jenkins
- Knowledge of practical threat modeling for consumer applications
- Broad knowledge of IT Security technologies, processes, and techniques and a strong understanding of application security practices.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science, or Information Security preferred.
- Knowledge of cloud security principles
- GPEN, GXPN, GMOB, CSSLP, or other similar Security Certifications