Associate Software Engineer at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed’s Core Infrastructure Group is looking for someone taking their first steps into infrastructure software engineering, where they would be learning to help build the systems that power our sites and products. Our group’s mission is to make it enjoyable, painless and safe for developers to build and manage their applications at BuzzFeed. We do this through building tools informed by best practices - which combine to create an instrumented, secure, and resilient platform.
In 2016 we built rig, a PaaS powered by Docker and AWS ECS. Since then we have continued to iterate and add to the platform. Rig now powers all of BuzzFeed’s sites and products, with over 500 microservices running on it — with each one supported by the team responsible. Across the platform we’ve had around 150,000 deploys in the 3 years since launch.
Then, in 2017, we created a single sign on identity aware proxy — buzzfeed/sso — which we open sourced in 2018. This has seen wide adoption by the community, in terms of contributions to our GitHub repo as well as the feedback we’ve received from others who rely on it.
Among our more recent initiatives are a storage library, which has added zero-config provisioning of datastores for developers, and the introduction of automated, continuous deployment to production, both of which are further eliminating friction from the development process.
We’re looking for an engineer who is excited to learn how tools can shape company culture, and who wants to help improve the platform that underpins BuzzFeed.
What you'll do:
- In your first week you will be guided through fixing a bug in one of our services and deploying the change to production
- In your first month you will learn how to build and provision our infrastructure
- In your first three months you will work with your team to deliver meaningful improvements to our infrastructure
- In your first six months you will facilitate a blameless retrospective
- Be paired with more senior engineers who will sponsor your growth as an engineer
- Learn how to build and maintain core infrastructure, including the platform that all other products and services depend on
- Collaborate with domain experts across the company, including engineers building user-facing products, data scientists training novel machine learning models, and investigative journalists publishing original reports.
- Work with a mix of proven and cutting edge technologies in a distributed ecosystem
- Participate in collaborative code and architecture reviews
- Identify patterns where we can create standardized tooling to replace previous manual or adhoc solutions.
- Participate in a support rotation to help keep the tech org running smoothly, while looking for ways to increase system resiliency and to automate away your own support tasks.
Who you are:
- You have an interest in learning about and working on the underlying infrastructure that powers all the services of a digital media company
- You have a curious nature and like to question why things are the way they are.
- You make time to review others' designs and code because you see it as an opportunity to learn
- You take pride in discovering simple and elegant solutions to complex problems
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity
- You care about the developer experience
- You think of systems as modular and composable services
- You are constantly learning and re-evaluating previous assumptions
- You are familiar with the foundational tools of modern development such as relational databases and REST.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, engineering workshops, Employee Resource Groups, hack weeks, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary, equity and and either pension contribution matching (UK) or 401K matching (US)
- An opportunity to assist journalists on stories through our Tech + News working group
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, team outings and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, and birthday treats
- Additional PTO for participating in after hours support rotations
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.