Back End Engineer, Warehouse Operations at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Role:
We are looking for a software engineer with server-side development experience to work on our core RESTful services. Our engineering team uses a service-oriented architecture to power our mobile app, our website, and our warehouse technology. In this role you will work on both new product features and technical infrastructure as we believe in building for the future to enable performance and scaling. You’ll be part of the team that owns our rapidly evolving reservation system, and with it our customer promise.
What You’ll Do:
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Develop clean, testable, scalable systems using Java, Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, MySQL, Splunk, New Relic and a variety of other open-source technologies
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind
- Find architectural improvements to enable rapid growth in traffic and order volumes
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Mentor and learn from your teammates and foster an inclusive, empowering team dynamic
- Degree in computer science, software engineering or 5+ years of programming experience with a compiled OOP language like Java, C#, C++
- You’ve shipped multiple large software projects and learned from the experiences
- Able to learn new tools and technologies quickly
- Experience working as part of a team software development effort
- Ability to manage your time and juggle competing priorities
- Exceptional communication skills
- Extensive Java chops or any prior Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, MySQL are a plus
- Curious, has a sense of humor
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.