Back End Software Engineer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Our Consumer Engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About the Job:
As a Back End to Full Stack Engineer at Rent the Runway, you are someone who prioritizes creativity and user experience alongside great code and curiosity. Your opinions on architecture and design are informed by your experience building applications supporting large user bases. You will work in a cross functional pod of Engineers, Product Managers, & Designers to create UI components for our loyal member community.
What You'll Do:
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Collaborate with designers and other teams to refine product features and brainstorm ideas
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code
- You have previous experience building performant web applications at scale
- You have experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimisation
- You have experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, Swagger/OpenAPI)
- You have a passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- You're able to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- You're able to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- You have a strong command of best practices, design patterns, and system architecture tradeoffs
- You have knowledge of various types of data stores, and their pros-and-cons
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.