Backend Engineer, Video Player
JW Player is the world's most widely-adopted web video player and is touted as the most powerful and flexible video platform on the web. Our technology powers upwards of 15 billion plays on a monthly basis for some of the world’s top publishers and broadcasters like Fox, Fast Company, Univision, and more.
As a Backend Engineer on our Video Player team, you will join a highly collaborative group of engineers who enjoy autonomy and a strong sense of ownership to maintain and innovate on the most cutting-edge video player technology out there.
It is JW Player’s mission to provide the type of video experience that helps our customers grow audiences and monetize their content, and we’re looking for passionate and motivated engineers to help us do it!
As a backend engineer working on the APIs that power the video player, you will:
- Play a major role in migrating RESTful APIs to a service oriented architecture
- Build and improve features that enable and optimize the video player (asset delivery, media playback, advertising,)
- Improve instrumentation, monitoring and alerting for critical services
- Design, evolve and scale application architecture and services in an agile environment
You have the skills to be successful in this role if you have:
- 3+ years of software engineering and development experience
- Owned features, epics, projects from envisioning to delivery
- Experience with microservices or SOA: designing, creating, deploying, testing and monitoring
- Skill in test-driven development (TDD) and/or behavior-driven development (BDD)
It’s a bonus if you have experience in the following:
- Docker and/or Linux Containers
- Building scalable systems with cloud infrastructures like AWS or Google Cloud
- Caching and CDN technologies
- Web video (HTML5 and/or Flash)
- Ad-tech (Vast, VPaid, IMA, header-bidding)
- Event-driven or message-driven architectures
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status