Backend Engineer at RADAR
RADAR is building technology to completely transform the in-store experience for retail employees and customers alike. Our proprietary hardware and software platform combines RFID, computer vision and machine learning to provide hyper-precise, real-time location of every product and person in physical stores. This unprecedented capability enables retailers to automate in-store inventory management, analytics, and checkout...and this is just the beginning of what we hope to accomplish together.About The Job
Our engineering team is growing and we’re looking for a Backend Engineer. In this role, you will be responsible for building and deploying new features to our most critical backend system, while also driving the design and implementation of services that integrate with services and APIs managed by our retail customers. You will work closely with other engineering team members to share best practices, and will actively contribute to laying a strong and meaningful foundation for the team as it grows.
In your first week you will:
- Review and familiarize yourself with our existing backend architecture and code
- Work with other members on our backend engineering team to fix an outstanding bug in a RADAR backend service
In your first month you will:
- Collaborate with the backend team to help build and improve our retail integration services
- Collaborate with the backend team to help improve the communication between in-store services
- Participate in code and design reviews
In your first year you will:
- Build services and tools that streamline store installation and operations in collaboration with our backend engineering and product teams
- Participate in improving and maintaining our in-store and cloud architecture
- Contribute to building an incredible team of engineers
- Occasionally travel to our office in San Diego and/or customer locations (up to 10% of your time)
- You have 2+ years of professional work experience building and operating backend services using Java
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or computer-related degree
- You are familiar with designing and writing low latency, thread-safe, and high volume services
- You understand the theory and implementation of data structures, algorithms, and system design
- You have experience operating and debugging services running on Linux systems
- You have a working knowledge of scripting languages, such as Python
Technology like what we’re building doesn’t happen on its own. It is the result of a collaborative environment and the hard work of passionate, dedicated individuals working intelligently towards a common goal. We are looking for exceptional people to join our growing team and have a positive impact on our culture, technology, and product from day one. We deeply value humility, curiosity, and a positive attitude and you should as well. You should also believe that mutual respect is the foundation of any healthy and productive relationship. You should be unafraid to ask questions or challenge responses no matter how simple or complex. Most importantly, you should value honest and direct communication as you recognize that this is the best way for any individual or team to continuously learn and grow. Accomplishing our collective goals will be fun but it will also be hard; you should be in pursuit of an ongoing and rewarding challenge!What It’s Like To Work With Us
We’re passionate about the technology we’ve created and what we’re building, but we know that changing any industry and creating a successful company will take balance, maturity, and a sustained effort. We’ve combined retail industry expertise, amazing engineers with experience shipping real-world hardware and software solutions, and a team of brilliant minds who are not afraid to focus on solving “impossible” problems. But this passion doesn’t mean we live unbalanced lives. We have families and passions outside of work, and we know that the best work comes from sharp, rested people. We respect each other and each of our contributions, and we believe that the best solutions will come from a diversity of ideas and perspectives.
Finally, we build our products with deep empathy for the people who will use them every day. Their input and insights are our clearest guide to building what they need; we respect our partners and clients, and listen closely to their feedback.