Backend Engineer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women
About the Team:
Our engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About the Role:
As a Backend Engineer on the Product Security team at Rent the Runway, you will directly contribute to our product security strategy for our internal and public applications. This includes scaling our authentication, authorization, session management, anti-fraud tools, data privacy and other compliance-related controls. You will work closely with both the security team and with engineering teams across the organization to implement new features, provide security design and implementation guidance and perform secure code reviews.
What You'll Do:
- Lead software design & development of security, compliance and anti-fraud features and tooling
- Own and scale our authentication and authorization systems in both internal and public-facing systems
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder, removing roadblocks, and determining when to build and when to leverage third party platforms/tools
- Implement best-practice security features for our core applications
- Lead the remediation of vulnerabilities in RTR’s codebase
- Work closely with cross-functional teams such as Engineering, Product, Analytics, and Marketing to ensure our products, services, and systems remain secure
- Lead prioritization efforts, plan future roadmaps, and provide mentorship to others
- Drive continuous improvement of security in our organization, software and systems
- Deeply care about the happiness and careers of others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Strong experience with multiple object oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Java, C++ , C#)
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems microservices
- Hands-on technical leadership experience
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make well reasoned, pragmatic tradeoffs
- Understanding of cryptographic algorithms, encryption schemes, authentication protocols is a plus
- Familiarity with security compliance requirements such as PCI DSS is a plus
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need