Backend Software Engineer, Media Management & Distribution
We are looking for a backend Software Engineer to join our Media Management and Distribution Pod on Group Nine Media’s Tech team in New York City, NY.
Group Nine Media is the parent company of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink and travel (Thrillist), news and entertainment (NowThis), animals and activism (The Dodo) and science, tech and exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion video views every month, meaning that the work you do here will be impactful and geared towards informing our readers on topics that matter.
We are a team of people from various social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds who value professional development and work/life balance. It’s our belief that our team and our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
MORE ABOUT THIS ROLE
Software engineers in this role maintain the backend services and APIs that power our business and build new infrastructure that supports our company mission and empowers our brands. The core components of our architecture are the distribution systems, custom publishing platform, and media management system that we have built in-house and continue to expand as the business diversifies and moves in new directions.
Some of the questions/considerations you might face in this role might include:
- How do we implement stable maintainable server-side applications, microservices, and/or APIs to support other departments or business needs?
- As Group Nine Media grows, how do we continue to build our codebase in a sustainable and scalable way while using the best tools and technologies?
- How can we collaborate effectively with the Design and Product teams to make informed technical decisions and find creative solutions for each project?
These are the main technologies and tools that we use on our team:
- Platform: AWS Lambda, Kinesis, SQS, SNS, Kubernetes
- Build: NodeJS, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker Images, Docker Harbor
- Workflow: Slack, GitHub, Jira, Confluence, Jenkins
ARE YOU THE ONE WE’RE LOOKING FOR?
The ideal candidate:
- Has at least a few years of real world development experience building and maintaining server-side applications, microservices, and/or APIs
- Has a strong background in distributed systems and microservices, including a deep understanding of how a distributed system works end-to-end and how to optimize performance
- Thrives in a diverse workplace where knowledge-share and professional development is an important part of our culture
- Keeps up with software industry trends and is open to learning new technologies
- Effectively debugs and resolve errors that may be localized to a single application or distributed across multiple services
- Communicates with empathy, inspires optimism in fellow team members, and take action without having to be told explicitly what needs doing
We appreciate someone who:
- Advocates for clean, concise code and internal documentation
- Is interested in open-source and contributing to the community
- Expects excellence from themselves and the people they work with
- Identify the work that is required to solve a business need by defining technical requirements and breaking those down into logical, achievable milestones
- Collaborates closely with the product team to ensure business requirements are met, flag technical hurdles to fulfilling requirements, identify project goals, and coordinate on progress
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.