Backend Software Engineer at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 8 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
The ideal candidate is highly technical and has a background developing core services and API’s. You believe clear is better than clever, lack ego, love learning, and have previously worked on a team which delivered high quality and intuitive solutions. You believe in taking calculated risks and bringing data to the conversation. You are excited about rethinking the rental and tenant experience and already have ideas for how to make it better.
- Architect and develop backend features, services, and API’s on our core platform
- Write well tested maintainable code while continuously delivering value to the business
- Be responsible for the lifecycle of a project from drafting a technical specification, to releasing in production, and everything in-between
- Provide peer feedback on pull requests and technical implementations
- Participate in internal engineering talks, mentorship, interviewing, and stewarding our technical standards
- Help shepherd and iterate on our engineering culture and values
- Triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
Qualifications + Requirements
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- A degree in computer science is preferred but not required. However, you should have a strong grasp of CS fundamentals.
- Intermediate or advanced knowledge of at least one object oriented or scripting language
- Experience designing database schemas and writing raw SQL
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, self-awareness, and optimism
- Experience writing unit, integration, and end-to-end tests
- Understanding of programming patterns and software development principles
- Familiarity with domain-driven design
- Strong communicator, collaborator, and relationship builder
- Bonus: Experience with Ruby, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, GraphQL, AWS, or Heroku
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.