Data Platform Engineer
At White Ops, we’re all hackers. This doesn’t mean you have to hold a key to the internet (although one of our founders does!), but it does require approaching problems in unconventional ways. We are attacking criminal botnets through the ad fraud that finances their operations. Our proprietary technology detects and prevents sophisticated online fraud. By reducing the incentives for crime, we are making the internet a better place. Our mighty team of humans have several things in common:
We are hackers.
We create tau for ourselves and each other.
We think big and move fast.
We practice humility.
We “pwn it”.
What we do:
We keep the internet safe by fighting organized cybercrime. Our products accurately detect and prevent even the most sophisticated bots and our customers include some of the web's largest and most forward-thinking companies.
Our team of engineers is friendly, curious, driven, and highly collaborative. We support one another and regularly hold code reviews to facilitate learning and reduce friction during our 2-week releases. We strive for clean and readable code. Our engineers also work closely with other teams in the company, including creative, product, and customer support.
The Data Platform team processes terabytes of data a day as the backbone for our analytical systems. We are looking for a hands on senior developer to design, develop and test our data platform and continuously improve the performance, availability and scalability of our products. Experience with fast and scalable distributed systems is a must as well experience with structured and unstructured data sets.
Who you are:
- You have a strong sense of ownership which drives you to find ways to do things better, faster, and cheaper
- You look to find new and innovative ways to solve complex problems through rigorous experimentation
- You are open and transparent and work in tight collaboration with the rest of White Ops
Open to tasks beyond software development, for example, there will be occasional 2nd level support for our processes on a rotational basis
What you've done:
- Experience building data pipelines using Python is preferred
- Experience with distributed data storage systems/formats using parallel processes and/or columnar data stores such as Snowflake, Redshift, Druid, Cassandra, Parquet, Kudu, or HBase
Java exposure is a plus
SQL knowledge is required
Linux/Unix experience preferred
- Experience working with batch processing/ real-time systems using various open source technologies like Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Experience working with messaging frameworks such as Kafka or Kinesis
- Have worked with a major cloud provider such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Knowledge in data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques for big data platforms
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment & Test Driven Development preferred
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
About White Ops:
Our mission is to protect the internet by verifying the humanity of every online transaction. Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, we now serve trillions of monthly decisions for some of the web’s largest platforms. Our technology protects digital advertisers, publishers, ad tech, and enterprise businesses globally by detecting and blocking bots. It’s an ongoing war that we happily fight every day.
Life at White Ops:
Our HQ office is centrally located in NYC in the heart of the Flatiron District. We had approximately 100% headcount growth in the past year and we are growing the company deliberately, with a keen eye towards maintaining a culture that values diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing meaningful work and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We have many world class customers who use our platform • We're focused and propelled by a substantive mission • We're building a very sophisticated product that fights a real threat to humanity • We're committed to building a product companies need • We have created an environment that optimizes your skills and brings out your best work •