Database Platform Engineer at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Database Platform Engineer to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the TechOps Team to support the database initiatives of Flatiron’s provider-facing engineering teams. You'll help improve the data platform for OncoEMR, our oncology-specific electronic medical record (EMR) system used by over 1,300 oncology clinicians to diagnose and treat patients battling cancer. In another aspect, this position will help implement best practice, automation, and reliability standards into the data sets of our research initiatives where modern technologies are at the forefront of application design. In addition, you'll also:
- Manage and improve multiple, large-scale, cloud-hosted Microsoft SQL server environments
- Provide best practices, automation, and support around modern database platforms such as RDS, PostGres, and Redshift
- Serve as a technical resource for developer teams, project managers, and analysts.
- Collaborate with development and operations teams to quickly highlight and resolve problems with database systems
- Participate in design reviews and work with developers to improve or troubleshoot database driven applications
- Work closely with security engineers to ensure database security is in accordance with compliance policies set by Flatiron, HIPAA, or other authorities
- Ensure appropriate documentation is developed and maintained relative to our database environments
The Database Platform Engineer will be a critical role in maintaining and optimizing Flatiron’s data platform space, where data integrity, security, and performance all have a direct impact on the lives of cancer patients and their care.
Who You Are
You're a Database Administrator with 5+ years of hands-on database administration experience. You have at least five or more years of experience with performance monitoring, database tuning, and capacity planning. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- Your experience is in Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server environments
- You have experience with implementing highly-available database environments and supporting disaster-recovery requirements
- You have experience maintaining cloud-hosted environments such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- You have experience managing and scaling PostGres, RDS, Redshift, or another modern database platform
- You have the demonstrated ability to provide in-depth consulting services in the identification and resolution of database issues
- You have experience in the planning, design, and usage of database resources and providing support to development teams
- You are able to work individually or as part of a team to solve technical problems
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have experience programming in .NET & Python
- You have experience with Powershell, Ansible, and other scripting or orchestration frameworks
Flatiron Health is a leading healthcare technology and services company focused on improving oncology patient care and accelerating cancer research. Our products connect community oncologists, academics, hospitals, life science researchers and regulators on a shared technology platform. For community oncology clinics, our OncoCloud product offers the most comprehensive suite of software and services in community oncology. We work with both community oncologists and life sciences customers to see how the billions of data points on cancer patients can generate meaningful real-world evidence, and also accelerate clinical trials. Flatiron believes that we can learn from the experience of every patient.
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.