Developer Support Engineer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about solving technical problems and enabling customers along with extensive experience working with Linux and open-source environments. Someone who has a strong desire to support our customers with an emphasis on fixing it once for all.
We are looking for a Developer Support Engineer to connect customers from around the world with resources that enable them to fully utilize the DigitalOcean platform and advocate for their needs. This person will ensure our customers get the most out of their cloud experience and a deeper level of technical knowledge.
This is a challenging and rewarding role that enables you to exhibit your deep technical experience in a customer-centric environment. As a small team of about 25, we support 500,000+ customers who utilize 10+ data centers and 10,000+ hypervisors every day. This requires creative problem-solving techniques, deep technical knowledge for Linux, and empathy for users who are facing technical challenges. Ultimately, you will be a trusted partner to our customers who will rely on you to provide timely and accurate solutions to their technical problems.
Our support is a critical component of our service and offering. Our mission is directed towards enhancing our products and not limited to providing resolution for our customers. We believe in customer empowerment and self-enablement; hence this opportunity brings out your best to expand our knowledge base and provide a great experience to our customers. We achieve this by segregating our support into four major verticals - Compute, Network, Storage and Developer Experience. As the voice of the customer, you have the opportunity to influence product decisions while helping to build the next great cloud company! This role will be focused on providing an exceptional support experience for users who are utilizing our platform.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Responding to a high volume of technical tickets generated by our customers
- Troubleshooting Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS), Apache, Nginx, MySQL, Rails/Unicorn, and PHP
- Working both collaboratively and independently within a team setting as well as with other engineering teams (we love Slack!)
- Identifying, communicating, and documenting process improvement suggestions
- Running incident management and escalations
- Completing projects that contribute to CSAT
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Successful track record in providing world-class Customer Support to tech-savvy customers
- Unrivaled passion for being a customer advocate and for technology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strongly identify with our brand and team culture
- Background with relevant technology, Linux systems, and similar environments
- Strong analytical skills and pattern recognition
- Programming/Scripting (Ruby, Python, Go, Bash, PHP)
- Source Code Management (Git)
- Automation (Chef, Puppet)
- Virtualization (KVM, Xen)
- Open Source (CoreOS, Docker, Vagrant)
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Customer Support
Want to learn more about our Customer Support team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!