Be an important part of Pratt Institute’s growing dynamic and collaborative communications and marketing division. Collaborate with Pratt’s new Web and Digital Communications team to create a digital strategy that is transformative, user-centric, and outstanding among our peers.
Pratt’s Communications and Marketing division requires a new Developer to be a key member of Pratt’s Web and Digital Communications team. Reporting to the Director of Web and Digital Communications and collaborating with our digital communications, editorial, creative, marketing, and client services teams the Developer will build and execute technical strategies that drive innovative, integrated, multi-platform initiatives. All technical projects will ultimately support communications and marketing division’s strategies, which seek to enhance the Institute’s reputation through increased visibility of the Institute’s initiatives, engagement of new audiences, and promotion of news, events, and accomplishments related to its programs, faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- working with the Director of Web and Digital Communications, as well as a variety of technical and non-technical staff across the organization, serving as a strategic leader and producer on mobile-first technical strategies, initiatives and services for the Pratt community,
- executing on said strategies every day in an organized, timely, and relevant manner commensurate with the nature of digital projects,
- assuming primary technical authorship and ownership over a variety of digital properties, including the Institute’s main website, pratt.edu, and associated external websites, microsites, and other digital platforms,
- serving as the primary developer and technical support for said websites, microsites, and digital platforms, working on small and large projects alike,
- supporting institutional use of third-party platforms, websites, and applications such as social media platforms; devising and executing the technical integration of said platforms within the main website,
- demonstrating strong UX/UI, visual, and human-centric design sensibilities as well as the ability to accurately implement “pixel perfect” designs on the front end,
- utilizing analytics, reporting, and data analysis strategies to gauge the success of websites, understand audiences, inform decisions, and advise colleagues regarding effectiveness; ensuring positive and bountiful engagement results,
- serving as the Institute’s expert on new content management systems, platforms, trends, methods and means of digital engagement by remaining aware of and engaging with new developments in the space and sharing that information with relevant stakeholders,
- exhibiting strong people skills and emotional intelligence, ability to work on a collaborative team comprised of many people with a variety of technical and non-technical skills; must have the ability to establish and maintain working relationships with staff from diverse backgrounds, as well as demonstrate sensitivity to cross-cultural perspectives and experiences,
- exhibiting strong project management skills, ability to work with agile and other common technical project management methodologies; ability to collaborate with other project managers within the organization and to liaise with external consultants as needed
- exhibiting a strong ability to collaborate and communicate with both technical and non-technical staff across the organization,
- demonstrating strong oral and written skills, strong presentation skills; there is an expectation that the candidate will participate and present in staff meetings
- providing positive, timely, and results-driven customer service to cross-institutional stakeholders in all interactions
The ideal candidate is a nimble, “big picture” strategic thinker, as well as a results-driven producer, with a strong technical understanding of mobile-optimized websites, third-party platforms, and their relationship to and integration with enterprise systems. The candidate has a strong history of devising, managing, and producing technical projects that are specific to and in support of cultural organizations or institutions of higher education similar to the Pratt Institute. The candidate is an experienced proven front-end developer with impeccable visual sensibilities; the candidate has a strong history of collaborating with graphic and UX/UI designers to implement “pixel perfect” and user-centric front end design. The candidate will demonstrate a strong facility with general principles of user interaction and experience design, as well as a strong understanding of and empathy with human-centered design and accessibility principles.
The candidate will remain empathetic to the Institute’s community of undergraduates and graduates who are studying an interdisciplinary curriculum spanning art, design, architecture, information and library science, and liberal arts and science; the candidate will also possess the ability to imagine, grow, and engage with external audiences. The candidate should be both an “early adopter” and an easy adaptor, have a strong fluency in emerging and ever-changing trends in digital media, technical platforms, popular culture, and the various social trends that drive relevant audiences, which are both local and global.
The candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills that facilitate collaboration with colleagues at all levels and with internal and external customers. The Developer must be self-motivated, efficient, and detail-oriented.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required
- Five-plus years of technical development experience, preferably in a similar institution or organization
- Strong time, organizational, and production management skills
- Strong familiarity and facility with enterprise content management systems with an emphasis on open-source solutions as well as their associated extensions and plugins. Pratt’s existing website, Pratt.edu, currently runs on Expression Engine, an open-source system based on PHP. Various institutional microsites are built on WordPress and other content management systems.
- Strong facility with UX/UI conventions; ability to read and interpret wireframes
- Strong desire and ability to work collaboratively with graphic designers to implement pixel-perfect front-end designs
- Sensitivity to accessibility-related design conventions and ability to identify and solve for accessibility concerns.
- Strong sensitivity to and passion for data-driven design processes and strategies; facility with and passion for data analytics reporting and analysis
- Experience managing code and workflows with tools such as Github, Asana, and Slack.
- Strong sense of ownership for project success
A completed application, cover letter, and resume, submitted through the Pratt Institute Interfolio website is required. A digital portfolio demonstrating successful website development projects is required.
Please submit all application materials online via the "Apply Now" button to the right. Applications must be submitted through this online process to be considered by the search committee, and selected candidates will be contacted through this process. No phone calls, LinkedIn messages, emails, or drop-ins, please.
Candidates selected for the interview process will be asked to provide five references via our on-line reference tool system, at least two of which must be references who have been your direct supervisor.
About Pratt Institute
Founded in 1887, Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education dedicated to preparing its 4,600 undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information, and liberal arts and sciences. Located in the cultural hub of New York City with historic campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pratt is a living lab of craft and creativity with esteemed professors and scholars who challenge their talented students to transform their passion into meaningful expression.
About Pratt’s Communications and Marketing Division
At Pratt, we have a unique opportunity to build a collaborative communications and marketing model unlike most institutions of higher education, because our faculty and students, staff, and alumni/ae do the work of design and storytelling in everything they do. Partnering with our colleagues to promote their students and programs, to co‐own the Institute’s brand, and to develop effective new communications channels makes the work of Pratt’s Communications and Marketing team so much more resonant, innovative, and supportive to the Institute. Our team of talented experts in varied media is committed to providing the robust, multi‐channeled, and collaborative communications, and marketing operation our Institute deserves, reflecting the same level of creativity, design, collaboration, and problem solving that is expected from our students and faculty.