DevOps Engineer at Braze
WHO WE ARE
Braze delivers customer experiences across email, mobile, SMS, and web. Customers, including Seamless, HBO, Disney, Urban Outfitters, and Venmo, use the Braze platform to facilitate real-time experiences between brands and consumers in a more authentic and human way. And we do it at scale – each month, tens of billions of messages are sent to a network of over 2 billion active users through Braze.
Need more proof? Braze was named a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Marketing Platforms in 2019. The company has also been named on the Forbes Cloud 100, Inc. Magazine’s 2019 Best Places to Work, and Crain's 2019 Best Places to Work in NYC lists.
We are headquartered in New York with offices in London, San Francisco and Singapore. And we have over 400 employees and are growing!
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We're looking for a DevOps Engineer to help us grow and improve automation, infrastructure reliability, and enable our engineering team to use new technologies in a scalable, reliable, and highly available way. Braze operates at a massive scale, collecting hundreds of billions of data points each month and sending hundreds of millions of messages to end-users daily. We use a diverse technology stack rooted in Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, Redis, Kafka, Kubernetes, and more. We have infrastructure in a half dozen different data centers all managed by Chef, Terraform, and a lot of caffeine. As a DevOps Engineer at Braze, you will collaborate with our Senior and Staff Engineers to continuously improve the infrastructure and tooling around a collection of these technologies.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
All DevOps Engineers will be working to ensure that Braze meets strict enterprise-grade SLAs with our customers. You’ll become an expert in how our product works from a technical standpoint to ensure that our message sending, big data pipeline, and ingestion platforms can run and scale effortlessly. At Braze, our DevOps team is split into the following four groups, each with their own focus area:
- Data Operations: As a member of the Data Operations team, you will be directly responsible for our large scale ElasticSearch deployment (hundreds of nodes), Kafka, and the databases that support all of our services. We are seeking a strong operations owner who understands that minor tweaks at this scale have a massive impact on the reliability and performance services as well as automating deployments and maintenance is a key ingredient of running data platforms at scale.
- Automation & Tooling: As a member of the Automation & Tooling team, you will be responsible for implementing or building tooling and services that will enable us to continue to scale our operations. You will play a key part in taking the pain out of running operations and will help to improve the day to day workflow of Braze’s engineering teams.
- Cloud Operations: As a member of the Cloud Operations team, you will be managing and governing bleeding-edge cloud infrastructure that supports high volume and high scale applications.
- Cloud Services: As a member of the Cloud Services team, you will be working cross-functionally with engineering, growth, and a variety of other departments within the organization to utilize services that we offer, in a way that works best for them and provides the most value. Employing best practices and monitoring will act as part of your day to day as everything that we do is operating in a governed way.
WHO YOU ARE
- 3-5 years of experience as a DevOps Engineer/Systems Administrator/Site Reliability Engineer
- Working knowledge of GoLang, Python or Ruby
- Previous experience using configuration management platforms to build and manage hundreds of servers
- Previous experience using cloud transformation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation or ACSEngine
- Previous experience with Kubernetes, ECS, or other container orchestration tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent ability to manage multiple tasks and expectations at once
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive compensation that includes equity
- Flexible time off policy to balance your work and life, including paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch in the office, including snacks and beverages
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Collaborative, transparent, and fun loving office culture
If you are a California resident subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act, click here to understand how Braze processes your personal information and how you can exercise your rights.