ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As the organization scales, we’re looking to bring on another engineer to our DevOps team to support our infrastructure and deployments. You’ll be responsible for getting existing infrastructure ready for increased scale, improving performance metrics, and designing new architectures as we build out our applications across the web and mobile. You’ll also be helping developers think through security risks, attack vectors, and practices that maintain our users’ privacy.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience implementing and improving CI and CD pipelines
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a rapidly growing team in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Familiarity with industry best practices and experience driven opinions on troubleshooting complex systems
- Working knowledge of the entire web stack (HTTP, DNS, Operating Systems Fundamentals, Load Balancing)
- A strong interest in building tooling for the web
- Strong communication skills and passion for sharing expertise with other team members
- Experience working with AWS or equivalent cloud providers
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience designing and iterating on infrastructure at a high-growth startup
- Experience working with sensitive (financial, health, classified) data stores
- Familiarity with kubernetes
- Experience working with Circle CI or Github Actions
- A passion for documentation
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!