Director of Engineering, Backend
At Harry’s we are building a cutting edge technology stack to support our multi-brand vision. We are already a successful men’s grooming brand. We launched in 2013, focused on quality craftsmanship, simple design and modern convenience and now we have over 3 million customers worldwide.
With our most recent round of financing ($112 million), we are developing brands beyond men’s grooming. The technology required to enable our goals is more sophisticated than first meets the eye. If you are a driven, talented engineer, come join us and help build the platform that will enable our new vision.
About the Role
The Director of Engineering, Backend is responsible for leading a team that is responsible for designing and implementing backend services to support a variety of business needs. You will be responsible for programming best practices, our backend roadmap and understand the impact that this can have across the company. You will improve process and collaboration across groups and provide coaching and professional growth to your team. You will report to the Senior Director of Core Engineering.
What you will accomplish:
- Take ownership of the team responsible for design and implementation of new backend services
- Lead the team in making improvements in architecture and making existing backend services more performant, reliable, secure, testable and maintainable
- Drive visibility on key engineering metrics for performance, availability, scalability and efficiency
- Deliver a roadmap detailing backend development that supports sustainable growth & retention for our business (additional brands, systems and geographies)
- Coach, lead, and motivate engineering team members to deliver on projects and product launches
This should describe you:
- You know how to make large software projects maintainable and extensible in the long run and have experience with technologies such as databases, queues, workers, concurrency, indexes, etc. (experience with AWS technologies is a plus)
- You know how to ask the right questions, evaluate tradeoffs fairly and holistically, and have the intellectual reasoning to get the right answer most of the time
- You are able to develop an engineering culture so that engineers are able to do their best work and care deeply about their growth
- You are exceptional at building a team, understanding candidates' motivations and are able to paint a compelling vision for engineering at Harry's
- You are deeply curious, driven to understand our business, product, and technology, and to apply that knowledge to create better outcomes
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.