Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 400 employees and growing. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
As Orchard's Director of Engineering for our Consumer org, you will lead the engineering teams working across our entire consumer-facing product portfolio: home search tools, websites, intake form, dashboard & product innovation on the horizon. We have ambitious plans to solve challenges across the entire customer journey, and we're just getting started.
Some examples of challenges we will take on in 2021 include:
- Scaling to support 100x traffic and multiple magnitudes of growth
- Launching new product development roadmap for Mobile
- Innovating on image classification filters for ML Search
- Enabling A/B testing for rapid experimentation
- Delivering a fully online portal to navigate the home transaction end to end
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary) to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
In this role you will:
- Lead our consumer engineering organization, which owns all of the customer-facing products in our portfolio: including home search tools, websites, dashboard, intake forms & exciting new products on the horizon
- Partner with our Head of Product, Consumer, product managers & business stakeholders to define & execute against our ambitious roadmap
- Balance new feature development, experimentation, infrastructure investment & sustainable software practices
- Recruit, retain & develop the careers of Consumer engineers & engineering managers
- Build diverse, inclusive and high-performing engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to attract, identify, manage, mentor, and grow top engineering talent.
- Prior experience in web application development
- 7+ years experience in software engineering, 3+ years managing engineering teams
- Passion for leading through influence & managing managers
- Experience Identifying & developing potential for high-performance talent
- Demonstrated ability for high-velocity decision making & technical execution
- Deep understanding of web software SDLC & curiosity for continuous improvement
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're currently working from home until it's safe for employees to return to the office. We anticipate returning later this year and are excited to welcome people back to our offices and see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.