Director of Engineering - Core Services at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly.We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 22.6 million diners food ordering experience and we are feature over 300,000 restaurants in 3,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Core Services Group is comprised of approximately 85 engineers working across the globe. The organization drives the heart of the Grubhub Platform - everything from validating your order, checking out, and shepherding your order through our fulfillment process. In addition, the Core Services Group frequently engages in high-visibility strategic projects, internally known as initiatives, that span the Grubhub platform. For us, time to market and architecture of high-performance, self-healing systems is everything.
The Director of Core Services will join Grubhub engineering with several teams in place, supporting key bottom-of-funnel services in addition to a key business vertical which processes several hundred million dollars per year. You will draw upon your extensive knowledge of modern, distributed systems to ensure Grubhub can scale for the next five years, and beyond. Your technical expertise is balanced by your leadership ability, which you have honed over your career. You thrive in environments that are heavily data-driven, transparent, and self-reflective.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Drive innovation, best practices, and continuous improvement across technical and non-technical aspects of your team, and the larger Grubhub engineering organization
- Use your vast experience with distributed, real-time systems to advise your team and the greater organization on architecture and design
- Identify interpersonal bottlenecks and inefficiencies and create a plan to solve them
- Create a vision, and execute a plan to ensure our platform and team can scale to support future growth
- Identify opportunities for improvement, regardless of context.
- Lead, coach, develop, and mentor a large team while constantly raising the bar.
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience as a technical leader
- 7-10 Years experience building high-performance teams, and growing leaders
- Direct experience with distributed e-commerce platforms and/or order management platforms
- Significant experience with event-based, asynchronous systems
- Strong ability to collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations
- Expertise building resilient systems, identifying failure/recovery modes, preemptively identifying constraints to ease future growth
- You have top-notch communication skills in small as well as large settings
- You recognize the importance of relationship building and thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.