Director of Engineering, Internal Products at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
You are a growth-minded leader who loves to think about the scalability and efficiency of systems with an out of box thinking. You are excited to solve the problems of automating workflows for your colleagues and building easy-to-use internal products. You place the importance of data security and data governance and think about how internal products can be leveraged for external customer innovation. You are an abstract thinker but also a pragmatic problem solver.
Justworks is growing and we would love to have an experienced leader like you to join us and create a robust, secure, reliable, and scalable way of bringing all the internal applications and systems together. In the modern cloud-native world, you will have an opportunity to create an internal platform for scaling our business and corporate functions - Customer Success, People, and other corporate functions.
This position will report to the VP of Engineering and partner closely with senior Product & Engineering leaders and business operations and create a robust and connected corporate infrastructure and business systems.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- You will be overseeing the development and maintenance of tools and systems used by internal corporate and business functions, particularly CS functions
- You will be responsible for scaling our People operations
- You will own the integration of internal systems with various SaaS platforms
- You will be responsible for continuous security, compliance, and audit improvements working closely with the cyber-security team
- You will collaborate with various functions in multiple business units across our fast-growing technology organization and help us deliver amazing customer experiences
- You will demonstrate Agile behaviors, embracing Agile principles in relentless pursuit of continuous improvement both individually and organizationally
- You demonstrate excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- You value (in-person) relationships and camaraderie
- You embrace servant leadership philosophy
- You support autonomous and self-organizing teams around motivated individuals
- You are comfortable presenting to stakeholders regularly
- Customer Centricity
- You prioritize customer satisfaction over tools & processes
- You embrace continuous delivery of customer value as a foundation of excellent software delivery
- You value attention to technical excellence and good design to enhance agility, security, reliability, and ultimately customer value
- You work relentlessly to gain confidence and earn the trust of our customers
- You think strategically about scaling up the team, process, and systems
- You prioritize learning and embrace thoughtful changes
- You promote the sustainability of the process
- You use data effectively to help the organization learn and improve, using working software as the primary measure of success
- You share your learnings with the team, peers, and stakeholders
- You use failures as opportunities to learn and improve
- Domain Expert
- You demonstrate strong experience in modern cloud technologies
- You have strong experience in API and system connectivity
- You deeply care about data security and governance
- You are familiar with enterprise SaaS systems
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler”
- Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a relevant field highly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in infrastructure & operation management highly preferred
- Strong background and experience in network design, system design, and end-user support processes
- Experience building and managing a team of world-class infrastructure, DevOps, database reliability, network, and IT support engineers
- Experience in working in Agile and Continuous Delivery environments
- Experience in developing compliance and regulatory environment
- Experience in vendor management and budget management
- You are comfortable with experimentation and innovation
- You are comfortable working in the public cloud and Unix environment
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment