We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to join our rapidly growing technology team at Teachable. You will lead an increasingly important and strategic aspect of our business consisting of the e-commerce portion of our platform, including checkout, payouts, billing, subscriptions, and integrations with 3rd party payments providers such as Stripe and Paypal.
Our development teams are structured into cross-functional pods each consisting of 4-6 engineers (including an engineering lead or manager), a Product Manager, a Product Designer. You will oversee multiple pods spanning features, tools, and infrastructure development, supporting your engineering leads and managers and ensuring the successful execution of their projects and operations. On the strategic level you will be responsible for developing the overall direction and roadmap for our money product and infrastructure capabilities in alignment with your product partners and other stakeholders such as our CFO, CTO, and VP of Compliance. You will also be expected to continue building your team’s capabilities as your area of the business grows by hiring the right people and structuring the teams to be as effective as possible.
As a senior member of Teachable’s engineering management team you will also help determine our overall technical vision and direction as well as establish processes and drive initiatives that result in technical, operational, and cultural improvements across the engineering team.
While you are not expected to be coding hands-on as a primary responsibility, you will have the ability to decide when your time is best leveraged by contributing in that capacity. You are adept at achieving results not through micromanagement, but rather through empowering your team members and helping them to run autonomously. Above all else you are an outstanding people manager who cares deeply about the well-being and growth of your engineers, and have a track record of successfully developing leads and managers under you.
This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Provide strategic leadership for our Money capabilities, including roadmap planning for our product offering and the technology that enables it
- Ensure that our infrastructure can continue to scale while increasing the overall robustness, resiliency, and observability of critical systems
- Oversee 2-3 development teams responsible for shipping features, tools, and infrastructure, with their managers reporting to you
- Ensure the successful and timely execution of team projects and operations
- Establish and improve engineering team processes in all areas including software development, operational efficiency, and performance management
- Sets goals and unblocks teams to drive results
- Mentor direct reports, provide performance feedback, and help them grow and develop their careers
- Build and structure team appropriately to meet business needs and direction
- Work with senior engineering leadership to help determine overall engineering strategy and direction
- Collaborate with partner teams (Customer Ops, Marketing) to provide support
What We’re Looking For:
- 10+ years of engineering experience, with at least 5 years in an engineering management capacity
- Previously managed multiple teams comprising 10 or more engineers
- Previous experience in domains and technical systems relevant to the flow of money: payments, checkout, subscriptions, etc.
- Extensive experience shipping user-facing product
- Track record of developing engineering managers to become more senior in their careers, and/or developing individual contributors into successful managers
- Thrives in ambiguity and can independently make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance
- Relentless drive for continuous improvement and proven ability to instill in their teams
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than $850 million to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least January 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
Dependent Care FSA
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.