Director of Engineering, Platform Services at Justworks (Greater NYC Area, NY)
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
In order to serve our customers well for the ages to come, we are seeking a leader who can create foundational experiences & technologies that become a force multiplier for product engineering organizations. The responsibilities include strengthening how our internal systems interact with each other through robust data strategy, bringing innovation through core UI/UX, Mobile and API through data driven thinking and disciplines, and scaling our core technologies thoughtfully through CI/CD and agile principles, to allow us to grow with confidence and for ages.
This role will require a good understanding of business operations as well as modern technology trends and architectural patterns. This highly impactful and visible role requires a leader who can build a long-term vision, drive execution, and establish credibility and influence across the organization. You are comfortable talking to business leaders using business vocabularies and also at ease talking to engineers about modern technologies. You understand what customers need today and you understand what we will need to do proactively to serve our customers in the future.
We expect the size of this group will grow significantly over time and this is a mission critical role.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
Your mission is to bring forward-thinking strategies and execute them to the most critical areas of the Justworks’s future.
- Cultivate engineering culture based on Justworks’ core value (COGIS - Camaraderie, Openness, Grit, Integrity, Simplicity)
- Grow, mentor and lead a team of talented managers and engineers.
- Lead the product engineering teams and solve mission critical problems for Justworks with high quality engineering disciplines.
- Proactively plan and execute scaling the technologies with Continuous Delivery as the first principle.
- Collaborate closely with business, product, design and other partners to improve efficiency of how we deliver product.
- Collaborate closely with business operation leaders to establish data engineering strategies to make us a strong data driven organization.
- Collaborate closely with advancing our security posture by improving identity management and adding deeper insights.
- Provide guidance and support growth in other engineers on the team and across other teams
- Bring new ideas to scale the engineering organization as a part of the senior engineering leadership group.
- Help define and communicate technical standards and best practices
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure
As a Director of Engineering, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 8 years experience growing, developing high-performance Engineering teams
- You are experienced in scaling a technology organization and growing teams.
- You are comfortable working with business and product partners in an agile environment.
- You have a deep empathy for customers, especially small business, and for your coworkers.
- You are not afraid of making changes but you do it thoughtfully.
- You have a gut feeling and vision but you also rely on data to back it up.
- You can talk about systems architecture and software development concepts from experience.
- You strive to learn new things and raise your own bar.
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $250,000.00 to $300,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Please Note: We believe Justworks has a responsibility to support efforts to get as many people vaccinated as possible. We’re committed to safeguarding the well-being of our employees, their families and the broader community from the risks associated with COVID-19. Because this position requires onsite work, this position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, Justworks will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated in accordance with its obligations pursuant to applicable federal, state, provincial, and local law.
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEIB Report and Our DEI Commitment