Director, Engineering - Release Tools at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
New York, NY, US, 10022-7240
Date: Feb 3, 2021
Req ID: 881
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery along with the rest of the media industry is undergoing a transformation to build unique experiences around the world-class non-scripted video content in form of Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) products on dozens of different platforms. They key to delivering dozens of products globally is a robust platform that serves as the foundation for building the products such as Discovery GO (18 US brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, HGTV, MotorTrend), Eurosport, GolfTV, DPlay, Discovery Plus and many others. This DTC platform will power the digital transformation of Discovery & enable the future of interactive & personalized video experiences for global audiences spanning 220 countries.
The Director of Engineering will help lead, manage, and inspire the software engineering teams that span multiple areas of the end to end DTC OTT platform. They will develop the global platform working closely with peers on the digital platform teams in Seattle, New York & London and the product, design, and P&L leaders across the globe.
An ideal candidate will take a hands-on approach to deliver a true multi-tenant platform that will power all the brands of Discovery. They build for scale, develop technologies with a long-term outlook, build trust with their engineering team & people from all areas of the business, and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members.
The ideal candidate is an established leader, responsible for leading and managing a global platform service as it relates to devops workflows for Release Tooling. You are responsible for helping define the mission of your team, inspiring and motivating your team to pursue that mission, and setting strategic goals for them to achieve in that pursuit. You have a balanced understanding of business and technical objectives and your guidance is sought out because your decisions drive the best outcomes for both.
• 8+ years of experience in building and growing a distributed team of engineers with strong skills in devOps workflows as it relates to source code mgmt., branching, CICD workflows, build pipelines for frontend and backend services as global scale
• 5+ years experience is design and architecture of self-serving release tools with a passion for automation and continuous improvements
• 5+ years experience in implementing as-a-service platform capabilities related to devOps workflows in various containerized cloud based services
• You have experience and understanding of developing and managing automated CICD workflows for various iOS, Android, Roku, etc client platform apps and services.
• You understand complexity and ability to simplify process, tools and automation to enable feature velocity without losing quality
• You work across other platform teams that integrate with release tooling pipelines for instrumenting execution of automated testing and deployments
• You have strong skills and experience across various technologies: GitHub, Github Actions, CircleCI, Spinnaker, Jenkins, Docker/Kubernetes, gitOps flows.
• You are proficient in use and understanding of various software programming languages such as ruby, python, go,
• You provide guidance and expertise on system options, risk and impact management, as well as cost vs. benefit analysis
• You uphold and ensure security requirements for tooling, systems, and environments are met and protect the assets of the company and our customers
• You have experience in leading troubleshooting of system and performance problems in Prod/QA/Dev environments
• You have ability to identify improvements to reduce technical debt streamlining towards a global platform service
• You have the ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to meet aggressive goals and pre-defined measurement criteria
• You have excellent written communication, problem solving, process management, cross-team collaboration and high customer empathy
• Strive in a culture of innovation – always exploring ways to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone
• You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
• Must be willing to travel
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]