Director of Engineering - Smart Access at Latch (Remote)
Renting a home is the world's oldest subscription service. People spend thousands of dollars every month for an experience that is outdated, inconvenient, analog, impersonal, and leaves a lot to be desired. Latch is working to make every building better, and while we've methodically executed this mission since our founding with great success, we're just getting started.
Leveraging our knowledge from companies like Apple, BCG, and IDEO, we’ve rethought how people interact with space. Latch delivers a full-building operating system designed to help owners, residents, and third parties like guests, couriers, and service providers, seamlessly experience the modern building. We’ve done this by combining software, devices, and services into a holistic platform that makes spaces more efficient, enjoyable, and profitable.
The next chapter of the Latch story will be our most exciting yet, and we’re looking for more talented team members to help fuel our growth.
Latch is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the design, development, and integration of cutting edge technology for our smart access products.
In this role you will be an integral part of a stellar engineering team responsible for building Latch's smart access control products. You will be focused on development of products and experiences for Latch devices, managing a team of firmware developers, owning the development for multiple products to deliver high quality, robust firmware to production. You will lead a highly cross-functional feature team and collaborate closely with mobile, backend and hardware engineers driving their priorities and provide system architecture guidance.
This position reports directly to the Director of Firmware and is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team core to the Latch experience.
- Lead architecture, development, quality and support of new and existing products across firmware and software
- Directly manage firmware teams working on our smart access products
- Deliver secure, resilient and robust designs - lead and participate in technical discussions across engineering and product teams
- Work with the electrical team for hardware bring up and verification of new designs
- Work closely with the software and mobile teams for definition and implementation of new system wide capabilities that forward the user experience and scale of our offerings
- Partner with QA teams to ensure high quality, reliable products get delivered to customers
- Work with Hardware & Manufacturing teams to support introduction of new Latch access products
- Collaborate with Product & Program teams to create and execute on development schedules to align with business strategies
- BS or above in EE/CS
- 5+ years of direct management experience with a wealth of experience as tech and managerial leadership
- Passion for mentorship and a strong desire to lead a technical team
- 10+ years of developing production firmware (RTOS / Bare metal) for 32/64 bit ARM/Cortex microcontrollers is a must
- Experience with AWS, REST API's, databases and design of distributed systems is a must
- Strong knowledge of C & Java programming
- Experience in working with and designing scalable and reliable cloud infrastructure
- Experience working with BLE/Internet connected IoT devices a huge plus
- Extensive experience with production level firmware for power & memory constrained embedded products
- Deep knowledge of electrical concepts and comfortable reading hardware schematics and debugging hardware at a board level
- Familiarity/Experience working with network stacks and protocols TCP/IP, UDP, MQTT etc
- Knowledge and experience working with Security, Cryptography a huge plus
- Experience working with compliance and labs for device certification (FCC/CE/ETSI etc) is a plus
Founded in 2014, Latch now has 400+ team members working to make spaces better places to live, work, and visit.
We offer unlimited Paid Time Off, a comprehensive benefits package, mental health support, and an environment where employees are surrounded by creative, empowered, and dynamic peers.
In conjunction with our core values: Contagious Determination, Humility, Trust, Inclusion, Action with Intent, and Privacy, we approach our work with care and a sense of duty, to make the world a better space.
We embrace diversity and strive to create an inclusive and equitable environment for all.
Latch has over 100 employees and is subject to OSHA guidelines that require all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Applicant Privacy Notice