Director of Engineering at Rent the Runway (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team
Our Engineering team is responsible for building, deploying, maintaining, enhancing, our e-commerce platforms & reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers & drop boxes across the country. The Consumer Engineering team is responsible for all customer facing interactions and features including our site, app, subscriptions systems, and marketing funnels. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, and engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming
About the Role
As a Director of Engineering at Rent the Runway, you will lead and guide the most important parts of our engineering organization – our people and our technical strategy. You’ll be overseeing our Growth, Retention, and Delivery & Returns teams to deliver features that make our users fall in love with us again and again. You’ll oversee the architecture roadmap of our Membership platform, working across teams and disciplines to optimize our acquisition channels, and expand our core product offerings to launch membership experiences that delight and engage our users. Mentoring, active engagement with the teams and their managers, and building strong relationships across teams and departments are all keys to success in this role.
What You’ll Do
- Mentor, grow, and empower your teams by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design
- Lead in prioritization efforts with cross-functional stakeholders and senior leadership
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for our Engineering team
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high
- Provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems, and infrastructure
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Develop internal SOPs, processes, documentation, and training to ensure that team members have the needed skills and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
- Work to automate management tasks, streamline processes, and improve reliability, uptime, efficiency, consistency, and security throughout the software and infrastructure
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- 5+ years of people management experience leading engineering teams
- Prior experience at eCommerce or subscription businesses
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- A knack for effective and clear communication in all circumstances
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, microservices, algorithms, and relational/NoSQL databases
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- Exceptional communication and customer relationship skills
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.