Director of Engineering at Moda Operandi
- 7+ years hands-on software development experience
- 4+ years’ experience in managing software development teams, including multiple teams at a time and/or leads of those teams
- A commitment to fully-encapsulated teams that own all parts of the software development lifecycle, from dev to test to prod, and utilizing best-practice techniques around code review, CI/CD, automation, and infrastructure-as-code
- An Agile way of working and prioritization
- A high sense of ownership, both individually and in the teams under you
- A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open source products
- The ability to motivate teams and guide them through their career development
- Experience in building both teams and products that scale
- Eagerness to collaborate across both Tech and Moda as a whole
- Excitement to drive culture internally, and promote that culture externally
- A deep understanding of modern web applications and API design; experience with issues related to scale, security, availability, deployment, and server maintenance
- Strong technical knowledge in one or more of: AWS, Scala, MySQL, React
- The ability to learn anything you don't already know to get the job done
You’ll Get To:
- Manage full-stack software engineering teams to craft highly available, resilient, and scalable solutions
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent.
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Break existing monolithic applications into micro service architectures and build new microservices
- Adroitly prioritize tech-debt pay-down projects as well as larger strategic initiatives
- Act as a key member of our technology leadership team helping to define and influence architecture, development, release, and infrastructure decisions
- Establish KPIs that help measure application stability and performance, quality of overall software solutions and engineering team productivity
- Help drive adoption and best-practice usage of Agile practices
- Serve as key partner to our Product Management team, advising on technical implementations, removing impediments and ensuring software engineering team productivity
- Hold our software engineering team accountable for execution of best practices; overall solution quality and performance; and management of technical debt
- Help build the Moda Tech brand and culture, both internally and externally
About the Engineering team
The retail space is one of the most rapidly changing industries today, and Moda stays at the forefront of those moves because of its innovative engineering team. They’re working on some of the biggest advances in tech right now: artificial intelligence, big data analysis, machine learning, and customized, innovative tools. The entire tech stack is built in-house, using the latest tools and frameworks.
Moda is a young startup with a dynamic culture, engineers at the company can have an oversized impact with their work – advancing not only Moda’s technology, but the retail industry as a whole. Engineers aren’t told how they should implement new features — Moda has created a great culture for self-driven experimentation, innovation, and fresh ideas.
About Moda Operandi
Moda Operandi brings designer fashion collections, from established and emerging designers, straight from the runway and designer showrooms to consumers through our online marketplace and “Trunk Show” model. We recently brought on a new CEO Ganesh Srivats, ex-Tesla, with experience in building top quality products and technology. He sees us as a global platform connecting creators, curators and consumers; we are redefining how luxury fashion is bought and sold in what is predicted to be a $446 billion market by 2025. We have opportunity to rapidly scale the business globally while also investing heavily in technology, data, and customer experience to innovate on our core platform.
Backed by New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Apax Digital, Adrian Cheng|K11, LVMH, Fidelity Investments and Condé Nast, the company recently announced a $165M Series F growth investment round which it will use to fuel investments in technology and data science, expand the designer offering, continued international expansion, and increased development across several key business verticals. This will fuel our ambition to reach $1B+ in revenue by 2021.
- An Agile, Tech/Product-driven environment
- Unlimited PTO
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
- 401k matching
- Dog-friendly office