Director of Engineering
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Team:
Our Operations Engineering team is responsible for building, deploying, maintaining, enhancing, our reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers & retail stores across the country. They are smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial and must support all of our associates who work in our warehouses: thousands of people a day! We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, and engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming.
About the Role:
As a Director of Engineering at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading and guiding the most important part of our engineering organization– our people and our technical strategy. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again, and this means nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, and coordination between and within teams.
What You’ll Do:
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders
- Take an active role in driving and evolving the roadmap for our Operations Engineering team
- Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams, and ensure that we're building the right systems and keeping the quality high
- Provide a strong technical and architectural vision for platforms, systems, and infrastructure
- Provide input into software lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Develop internal SOPs, processes, documentation, and training to ensure that team members have the needed skills and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
- Work to automate management tasks, streamline processes, and improve reliability, uptime, efficiency, consistency, and security throughout the software and infrastructure
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Lead a team of diverse and talented software engineers (front end, back end and/or full-stack)
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design
- Lead prioritization efforts and provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- 3+ years of people management experience leading engineering teams
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- A knack for effective and clear communication in all circumstances
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, microservices, algorithms, and relational/NoSQL databases
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.