Director of Engineering at Primary Kids
Greater NYC Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 11:40 a.m. (EST) on Friday, January 31, 2020
Primary is a gender-free, inclusive kids clothing brand started by Galyn Bernard and Christina Carbonell in 2015. The company was founded on the idea that kids clothing should be affordable, feel amazing, and be free of logos and slogans so that all kids can truly shine. Our customers are incredibly passionate about our mission, leading to strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there. Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture.
Company-sponsored health insurance
A 401k program (no matching just yet)
Three weeks of PTO (four weeks after two years at the company)
12 weeks of parental leave + 2 week ramp-up period afterward for all new parents
Bagel Thursdays and Frydays (yes it's what you think it is)
Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work).
About the Role
Primary's 11-person EPD team (Engineering, Product, Design) is currently arranged into three pods of 2-3 engineers and a designer, supplemented with product/research help as needed. Each team is responsible for a different user-type (New Customer, Return Customer and Internal Users), and proposes and plans their own work based on high-level KPIs and goals set by the CXO and CEOs. Each team, as is maybe obvious from the description, has a lot of autonomy and trust, which also comes with the responsibility to communicate their work, engage other teams cross-functionally, and to raise their hands when we need to pivot on our plans. As the leader of Engineering, you'll work with the EPD leads and CXO to ensure each team is working well, projects are being executed to a high standard and that progress is being actively communicated. At various times you'll work closely with people in Creative, Merchandising, Marketing and even Supply Chain, so you should really love digging in to other disciplines and understanding their needs, goals and concerns.
At a strategic level, you'll work closely with our CXO to define our digital strategy and KPIs. You'll also propose unique ways to leverage our awesome engineering talent to find efficiencies in other areas of the business (such as merchandising, supply chain logistics or seasonal planning). Additionally, you'll be responsible for charting out the growth of our engineering team - both through leveling up our current team and proposing headcount/recruiting new team members to help us achieve our goals.
- You are excited about building and leading exceptional engineering teams.
- You have a track record of helping engineers level up not only their technical skills, but their product and leadership skills.
- You believe in blameless culture.
- You're comfortable with shifting business needs, building and structuring engineering teams that can respond to time-sensitive, strategic product opportunities.
- You are effective both in high-level strategic conversations as well as going deep with engineers on complex artchitecture issues, outages, etc.
- You are outcome-driven rather than process-driven, only trying out and codifying processes in order to make engineers' lives easier and help them ship faster and more smoothly.
- You have a solid understanding of A/B testing and analysis, and can guide teams toward great experiment design.
- You put the customer first and strike a strong balance building the best possible customer experiences with engineering constraints.
- You are a great collaborator across departments, and can speak confidently to the needs, goals and concerns of other departments outside of EPD.
- You have strong product instincts and use them to find unique and high-leverage oppoortunities for engineering to impact the business.
- You care about the operation of the business as a whole, and participate in the conception and execution of company-wide efforts such as performance reviews, outings, etc.
Not Requirements (but let us know if you have any of these!)
- You have experience in a continuous deployment environment.
- You've written or contributed to an engineering career ladder.
- You've built recruiting processes from the ground up.
- You've managed data analysts.
- You have ecommerce or apparel experience.
If you fit this description and are interested in joining our team, we would love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description