Who are we?
Tempest is a female-founded, first-of-its-kind digital recovery platform that provides alcohol misuse treatment for the 46 million Americans who don’t identify as addicted. We are a modern alternative to traditional options, and are focused on putting people at the center of their own recovery through an approach that’s empathetic, empowering, and desirable.
Tempest serves a customer currently ignored by the wellness, healthcare and recovery industries; deliver them to sobriety; and keep them engaged in an evolutionary pursuit at a fraction of the cost of traditional treatment modalities. We position sobriety less as a singular goal and more as a holistic, aspirational lifestyle, and communicate this through our meticulously designed brand, the thoughtfulness and joy built into our products, and our commitment to culture-shifting via The Temper, our media presence. We have a DTC, three-tiered subscription-based membership model that provides basic to intensive intervention and recovery. We are in process of developing a clinical product with GTM in 2021.
Tempest offers staff:
- An open-minded, accepting, mostly hilarious culture that believes employee happiness comes first
- Unique holidays (and a lot of them)
- Great health insurance with One Medical benefits
- Wellness reimbursement
- 401k + FSA
- Heads down Fridays
- Weekly team lunch and office snacks (when we’re not in a pandemic)
- Family-friendly policies
- In-house recovery meetings
- Zero happy hours
Tempest, Inc. is searching for a Director of Engineering to join our team in New York City/ Remote Locations. The Director of Engineering will be responsible for providing direction, management, and operations for the expanding development team building out the Tempest platform.
- Partner with CPO and executive leadership to lead the technical vision of Tempest that meets the business strategy
- Collaborate with Product Managers from product concept to delivery
- Manage and scale the development squads supporting Tempest
- Guide, coach, and mentor team leaders as well as the promising talent within each team
- Help recruit and retain top talent for new positions in the organization
- Work closely with Engineers, Developers and Product Management throughout the organization to influence product development to improve overall product quality and efficiency
- Establish software development standards and processes along with best practices for the delivery of scalable and high-quality software
- Supervise architecture plus lead efforts to develop a technical roadmap for projects
- Help the squads and business owners work through competing priorities
- Special projects as and when required
Qualification and Experience
- 10+ years of proven experience in developing and managing effective development teams
- Experience agile practices and ticket management
- Experience managing teams across multiple disciplines, office locations, and time zones
- Web and mobile application development experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and presentation, with the ability to effectively represent the company to a variety of audiences
- Competent analytical skills and understanding of basic statistics, with the ability to understand and make decisions using data
- Ability to demonstrate a level of empathy and approachability that encourages transparency and trust; assumes good intent, manages with compassion, integrity, respect, and ultimately, is guided by doing the right thing
- Sound people assessment and judgment, with an ability to manage complex employee situations
- Ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and perform hands-on administrative tasks, while also scaling through the implementation of automated systems and light-weight processes
What we value and why you should join.
We’re a group of passionate and committed individuals determined not only to create a modern, feminist, inclusive, recovery modality but also to entirely upend the way our culture views alcohol—we are the anti-Rose All Day. We have a scrappy, get it done upstart ethos. We believe in showing up no matter what, honesty at all costs, persistence, straight-talking, and risk-taking. We’re not looking culture fits, we’re looking for individuals looking to build an entirely new culture. You should join if you want to make a difference in the world, and see this as the obvious way for you to do just that.
Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions.