ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching 7-Million active subscribers daily. We launched theSkimm app on iOS in 2016, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also launched theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team.
theSkimm's Tech team is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who are comfortable building tools throughout the stack. Our mission as an engineering team is to build the connections between theSkimm's editorial team and its growing audience, wherever they are. As an Engineering Leader at the Skimm, you'll lead projects that build the next generation of products at theSkimm and have influence over the evolution of our tech stack in the long-term. Reporting to our Chief Product Officer, you'll manage and guide a team of developers through projects of a diverse scope and interact with peers across the company.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Connect the engineering team with the company vision, instilling a sense of purpose while leading the team.
- Work closely with the CPO and other executives to advocate for the engineering team, manage competing priorities, and execute on broader business goals.
- Collaborate with revenue stakeholders and ad sales teams.
- Recruit, hire, mentor and empower a world-class diverse and inclusive engineering team.
- Clearly define individual roles and responsibilities, allocate resources and manage progress as well as overall team engagement and morale.
- Implement an effective reporting structure, manage through managers, and lead teams of engineers who love their jobs and do great work.
- Vet vendors for outsourced engineering work and guide those projects to completion.
- Coach programmers contributing to Node, React, and Rails applications
- Collaborate with a peer group of supervisors and directly with the executive team
- Explore emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. mobile apps, email, websites)
- Design integrations between theSkimm's content and its distribution platforms, often via RESTful APIs
- Offer suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS)
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years professional experience guiding high-performing technical teams
- 5+ years of industry experience building fast, reliable, scalable web-based applications
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, Babel, AngularJS, React, Redux
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation and attention to detail
- Smarts, humility, and comfort being resourceful in a fast-paced environment
- Strong critical thinking and communication skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Familiarity building systems that leverage AWS database, compute, and networking services
- Experience shipping and maintaining production deployments of React/Redux applications
- Experience and comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.