Director, Medical Informatics
Our team is looking for a senior informatician who can lead projects, formulate Flatiron’s vision for semantic interoperability, educate Flatiron community in the areas of Knowledge Representation, interoperability and standardization while leading a team of talented informaticians.
This job requires a sharp analytical mind, love of clinical data, and a passion for tackling one of the most complex medical and technological challenges of our time. The ideal candidate is excited about harmonizing clinical data through healthcare IT standardization and is passionate about how data interoperability is transforming patient care.
Innovation and independence and ability to work cross-functionally are key on this team. You will be developing creative ways for a wide cross-section of teams to explore, organize, and leverage the clinical and billing data in our systems. Every day will provide something new and interesting in curating and managing content for large data sets and ensuring data quality. You will be working aside engineers, clinical oncologists, quantitative scientists and product managers, shaping the way they think about their products and data.
- Drive and implement the vision and overall strategy for semantic interoperability and management of standardized terminology content for Flatiron’s Learning Healthcare Platform.
- Identify roadmap and related objectives and key results for MI-provided services and data products.
- Manage a team of medical informaticists and clinical terminologists.
- Review editorial policies and content designs for the curation, mapping, and versioning of clinical and payer-related data from multiple applications.
- Standardize clinical and billing data to clinical and payer-related controlled vocabularies and classifications.
- Expand and adapt ontologies when existing standards fall short.
- Work with a team of product managers, software engineers, and clinicians to identify, design, and implement clinical and payer-related data and terminology across Flatiron products.
- Be a data interoperability standards and terminology expert on our team.
- Stay on top of new software technologies and tools that help the team better analyze, manage, and organize standardized and controlled vocabularies.
- Collaborate with technical and clinical cross-functional product teams to identify requirements and scope of work involving the medical informatics team.
- Experience in leading projects which involve cross-collaboration with product managers, engineers, and clinical subject matter experts
- Significant hands-on experience curating and extracting data from databases, analyzing data, and/or integrating terminologies
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Bioinformatics, or Medical/Healthcare Informatics, or an advanced clinical degree (MD or RN) with substantial technical design and programming experience
- Experience in analyzing and/or developing information models
- Experience in managing a team of direct reports
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Some technical understanding of at least one programming language (Python, C#, Java, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of standard classifications and codesets used in medical coding and billing schemes, such as ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, and NDC.
- Knowledge of standard controlled vocabularies like LOINC, RxNorm, SNOMED-CT, and NCI Thesaurus.
- Experience working with a terminology management system like 3M’s Healthcare Data Dictionary (HDD), Health Language International (HLI), or Clinical Architecture’s Symedical Server.
- Experience working with drug database integrations (e.g.: First Databank, Medispan, Multum)
- Knowledge of clinical oncology and oncology data.
- Knowledge of healthcare IT data standards like HL7v2.x, HL7 v3 CDA, and HL7 FHIR. Some knowledge of claims billing formats (HCFA 1500, UB-92) and EDI transaction sets (X12/EDI 835, 837, 270, 271).
- Experience in data analysis of at least one Electronic Health Record (EHR) system (e.g.: Epic, MOSAIQ, Varian, Cerner).