Director of Packaging
Greater NYC Area
Freshly is one of the fastest-growing food-tech startups and the largest fresh-prepared meal delivery service in the country. It’s our mission to make eating healthy easier by delivering fresh, nutritious, fully cooked meals directly to consumers. We’re passionate about changing the food industry by pioneering a new way to think about meal delivery, access to fresh and healthy food, and how we eat in general. If helping build a company that will fundamentally transform an industry is exciting to you, read on!
The Director of Packaging will be responsible for leading the design and development of all packaging from concept to commercialization, across renovation and growth (new products, new channels/markets) initiatives. S/he will work closely with operations, commercialization, marketing, innovation, food safety, quality and procurement teams to identify key opportunities to meet consumer and business needs, ensure we’re bringing the best customer experiences to life and ensure operational efficiency and scalability.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong strategic mindset to create a clear packaging strategy and roadmap, a drive to develop new and innovative packaging solutions, and an advanced technical skill-set that can be applied to a fast-paced environment. Most importantly, s/he will have a passion for making a big impact on a high-growth company that is revolutionizing the food and wellness industries.
- Lead package development (primary, secondary, tertiary and ancillary) and changes across existing products (improvements in quality, productivity, sustainability) and innovation/growth (new products, markets, channels).
- Serve as the lead of the packaging “pod” to drive cross-functional collaboration and coordination across internal teams (operations, logistics, marketing, food safety, etc.) and ensure delivery against key objectives and results.
- Translate insights and business needs into potential strategic packaging opportunities that will improve the consumer experience and elevate the Freshly brand.
- Conduct feasibility analysis on design, manufacturability, costing and time-to-market
- Manage packaging initiatives to ensure they meet business, inclusive of launch timing, testing, quality, design integrity and cost.
- Source and manage third party partners to identify, test and commercialize new packaging
- Attend line trials and manufacturing startups, as needed.
- Maintain pulse of industry trends and new technologies to help drive innovation in packaging (structure, materials, form, manufacturing processes).
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging engineering, packaging science or related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience with packaging development or engineering, including knowledge and experience with plant operations, processing and packaging equipment.
- Experience with food production and cold supply chain highly preferred.
- Clear understanding of the application of a broad range of packaging materials, structural design, printing and manufacturing processes.
- Detailed knowledge of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging types.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements.
- Solid strategic thinking, blending strong analytics, creativity and curiosity while also having exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving mentality and solutions oriented approach to all your work.
- Thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong passion to drive innovation in an industry with lack of historical precedent.
- Ability to travel.
Freshly is a weekly subscription service delivering healthy and fully prepared meals directly to a customer’s doorstep. The rotating weekly menu offers 30 different flavorful preparations and combinations that are chef-made with the highest quality, 100% all natural ingredients that meet industry leading standards.
Each deliciously healthy meal is packed with key nutrients and cooked fresh to order with no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, refined sugars, artificial preservatives or hydrogenated oils.
In addition to providing free shipping, Freshly uses advanced eco-friendly packaging technology to ensure that meals maintain freshness in transit. Freshly makes embracing a healthier lifestyle deliciously simple, one box at a time. For more information, visit www.freshly.com.
Here’s some chatter about us:
WSJ - Nestle Buys Stake in Freshly,
Putting Healthy Food On The Menu Fortune - Nestle Leads $77M Funding Round In Meal-Delivery Startup Freshly
Techcrunch - Nestlé leads $77M Round For Healthy Meal Startup Freshly -
WSJ - Freshly Hires It's New CMO From Spotify - Mayur Gupta
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description