Director, Software Applications Engineering
As the Director of Software Applications Engineering you will provide technical and managerial leadership of our applications development team focused on delivering best in class mobile and web applications.
In this role, you will provide 80% technical implementation and 20% managerial leadership of a team of software engineers overseeing a range of areas. These areas include Android mobile development, frontend web, backend APIs, and database technologies in cloud server environments. The Software Applications Engineering team works in conjunction with Data Engineering and Platform Engineering teams to deliver applications used by Industrial Athletes, front-line managers in the field, corporate clients, insurance carriers, as well as internal teams. The Software Applications Engineering team works with StrongArm’s Embedded Engineering team to create applications that work in support of IoT devices used by Industrial Athletes, UI and UX team to implement great applications that solve customer facing problems. The team relies on Product Management to deliver product vision. The Director of Software Applications Engineering will report to the Executive Director of Engineering.
The ideal candidate for this position will exemplify the following:
- You are a driven and open-minded engineer with exceptional analytical abilities who can wear a number of hats from software design, software development, architecture, analytics, infrastructure automation, and testing automation.
- You must be able to thrive in a fast-paced design culture and enjoy holding responsibilities solving challenging problems.
- You continually strive to improve your team’s and your own technical abilities, code quality, best practices, processes, and communication.
- You lead by example.
- You have extensive experience as an individual contributor and experience as a team lead
- You have strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills. It’s critical you explain ideas coherently.
- You are constantly honing your skills developing applications that employ scalable and reliable best practices.
- You love exploring and experimenting with the latest technologies
- Lead a team of engineers in development of StrongArm’s applications.
- Provide mentorship and technical guidance to grow a team of strong software engineers.
- Work with key stakeholders to guide engineering, technology adoption in service to architecture and product vision.
- Project management and agile development experience.
- Provide architectural guidance on web, mobile, APIs and backend systems.
- Direct the engineering vision for application development tools, frameworks and techniques and how they fit into the broader engineering vision of the company.
- 80% of your focus should be as a lead senior software engineer
- Delivering high quality projects on time
- Providing technical mentorship and setting an example for the rest of the team.
- 10 years relevant industry experience
- Completed BS or MS in a Computer Science or related degree
- Frontend and Backend web development experience
- Mobile application development experience
- Cloud services experience : Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Using Databases : SQL
- Experience with automated testing : Unit testing, End-to-End testing, QA, CI/CD
- Microservices experience
- Serverless deployment experience
- noSQL or other database technologies
- React Native, Android, Java
- React, Python APIs, Typescript, Sass
- Similar cloud providers : Google Cloud (GCP) or Azure
- DevOps / Platform Engineering
StrongArm Technologies is an equal opportunity employer