Director of Software Engineering
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 95,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,700 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
About the Opportunity:
The Director of Web Engineering is responsible for the overall planning, organizing, and execution of the consumer-facing web applications. This includes directing all engineering efforts to meet product requirements, support, monitoring, and iterative improvement of existing web applications, strategic development of new application solutions when necessary and the high-level architecture and detailed design on the implementation and delivery of web application components. The role requires proven experience in planning, designing, developing and deploying performant, scalable and resilient web application systems.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Lead the strategy for the web application platform
- Makes independent decisions on architectural problems and methods.
- Performs assignments that may require the development of new or improved architectural techniques and procedures. Applies skills to minimize risks and
vulnerabilities and seeks means to improve developer productivity and application performance.
- Identifies, evaluates, and implements solutions using application best practices, current architectures, and technologies to meet current and future needs
- Leads the technology conversation in a cross-functional team to translate product, design & business requirements into well-realized deliverable
- Recommends new technology directions or options to maintain high engineering standards and developer efficiencies
- Prepares, documents and executes high-level web application architecture plans
Track, analyze and monitor web application performance metrics across the user experience
- Manage discreet application development teams to meet the needs of business needs at the appropriate levels of sourcing
- Manage team members under their purview, including resource performance review management, career development, and conflict mitigation
You Should Have
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar relevant field
- 10+ years working experience in web application experience
- Demonstrable experience developing web application software, especially high volume e-commerce systems
- Experience of communicating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience building effective relationships with technical, product, & design peers
- Expertise in engineering web application systems architecture, especially high volume consumer facing applications
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities and projects
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to coach and mentor team members
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.