Peloton is seeking a Director, UX Prototype Engineering to drive the innovation, iteration, and optimization of our Bike, Tread, and Applications, as well as the development of future Peloton products.
This role leads the UX Prototype Engineering team – a group that works directly with UX and UI designers and User Researchers to translate designs into interactive prototypes towards early validation and iterations. The UX Prototype Engineering team works across features on the Peloton Bike/Bike+, the Peloton Tread/Tread+ and the Peloton Digital App – as well as any end-user facing products and platforms Peloton develops in the future.
This role sits on the Product Design team and reports to the VP, Product Design.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Grow and manage a team of world class UX Prototype Engineers.
- Oversee hiring and onboarding processes.
- Mentor team members.
- Work to unblock UX prototype engineers and provide support.
- Define and evolve UX Prototyping processes.
- Document technical best practices and develop coding standards.
- Stay up-to-date with the strongest prototyping tools and languages
- Develop cross-discipline touchpoints with design and software engineering.
- Work to improve the efficiency and turnaround of design to software engineering.
- Build the internal and external UX Prototyping brand.
- Communicate the product and business impact of resourcing Prototypers.
- Intake, prioritize, and allocate work for the UX Prototyping Engineering team,
- Balance resources between projects and work with other team leaders resolving overall allocation based on strategic needs.
- Identify opportunity areas where prototypes can have an outsized impact.
- Oversee the execution of UX Prototyping; driving quality and efficiency.
- Review pull requests and establish code review processes.
- Give feedback at various project stages.
- Assit UX Designers on larger and/or higher profile projects as needed.
- In early days of the team: lend a hand in prototype execution as needed.
- Define the vision and technical direction of UX prototype engineer team
- Problem solver by nature.
- Sits at the intersection of engineering and design.
- Accepts the imperfect nature of prototyping and has a “hacker” approach to builds.
- Equally comfortable getting hands dirty in codebase as well as giving high-level guidance.
- Has a wide knowledge of the plethora of prototyping tools and coding languages and is able to apply accordingly to different design and research tasks.
- Able to learn new platforms, software languages, and concepts as trends shift in the industry.
- Can guide team members with a variety of working styles; balancing direction with empowerment.
- Quickly adapts to unexpected changes in scale, priorities, and pace.
- Experienced in managing, recruiting and growing a UX prototype engineer or similar team.
- Experienced in working with user researchers, UX designers, UI designers, copywriters, engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution.
- 6+ years of front-end/UI development and experimental prototyping experience.
- Recent experience in a product development setting within a consumer tech and software company.
- 4+ years managing engineering/prototyping teams.
- Strong experience with a variety of platforms, languages, and tools such as:
- Experience building physical prototypes (electrical engineering.)
- Experience building software prototypes on integrated hardware products.
- Experience with mixed-interaction software applications (touch, remote, mouse and keyboard) and mixed-platform and screen sizes.
- A portfolio of relevant front-end Engineering or Prototyping work or case studies, executed either by yourself or a team that you led.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.