Distinguished Engineer, Core Engineering
About the Role
As a Distinguished Engineer in Core Engineering, you will be a technical leader sought out for designing, implementing and operating backend and data systems to support a variety of business needs. You will refine the design of our existing architecture and understand the impact that this can have across the company. You care about software elegance and enjoy doing code reviews to raise the bar for efficiency and programming best practices. You will report to the Senior Director of Core Engineering.
What you will accomplish:
- Spend > 60% of your time writing code (this is primarily a coding position, not an architect)
- Own the implementation of the backend technology vision and be the leader in the design, development and operations of new backend services
- Contribute to the implementation of our data lake architecture, building scalable ETL processes and data pipelines
- Influence the company’s technology direction and create architecture and technical strategies that impact multiple teams
- Holistically meet non-functional requirements of the platform, considering performance, availability, scalability and efficiency in support of additional brands, systems and geographies
- Evangelize innovations, through prototyping, documentation or other means
- Drive engineering-wide best practices - writing RFCs, creating runbooks, driving process improvements (e.g. to CI/CD, deployments, code reviews, incident resolution, etc…)
- Influence the technical decision-making process across multiple teams and provide technical mentorship and guidance to engineers
This should describe you:
- You have a Bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training) and 15+ years of relevant work experience
- You have substantial experience in designing and leading implementation of distributed systems using a microservices / services-oriented architecture
- You have led the development of backend services and data pipelines at scale and are an expert in troubleshooting & debugging issues
- You are already familiar or capable of quickly learning our technology stack: Scala, Play, Akka, Python, Postgres, Snowflake, Kubernetes, AWS (EKS, ECS, Kinesis, Lambda, Redshift, EMR, Glue, Athena), Spark, Terraform, Circle CI
- You are able to make tradeoffs across more than one programming paradigm (knowledge of Scala / functional programming and Java / object-oriented programming is a plus)
- You have a DevOps mindset, taking responsibility for the entire system and its operations (experience with AWS technologies is a plus)
- You know how to make large software projects maintainable and extensible in the long run and have mastery with technologies such as databases, queues, workers, concurrency, indexes, etc.
- You are curious about software and how things work, you work to understand technical problems deeply, and you stay current.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.