NS1 optimizes delivery of the world’s most critical internet and enterprise applications. Only NS1’s platform is built on a modern API-first architecture that acts on real-time data and grows more powerful in complex environments, transforming DNS, DHCP, and IP Address Management (IPAM) into an intelligent, efficient, and automated system. NS1’s technology drives dramatic gains in IT efficiency and application performance, reliability, and security for the largest global enterprises, including Salesforce, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Nielsen, Pitney Bowes, Squarespace, Pandora and The Guardian. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.The Role
We are seeking curious, full-spectrum engineers with excellent communication skills to join our research and development team in the Office of the CTO.
The office is responsible for guiding the long term technical direction of the company, including evaluating forward-looking technologies. Our mission includes innovation, industry leadership and helping forge a strong engineering brand for the company with the end goal of propelling NS1 products and technology to the forefront of the industry.
In this role you will pursue interesting experiments and innovative projects on the R&D roadmap, proving or disproving their value to the business and our industry. The result of your work may range from a failed experiment (valuable!) to a reference implementation for a new product or feature. Other outcomes may include a research paper, an open source project, a blog post, an industry talk, or a patent.
You should be comfortable working independently or in very small teams, bringing often ambiguous, experimental ideas to goal-completion within a boxed time period, to be evaluated by OoCTO and other stakeholders. Completion may involve design, development, deployment/operation of MVP, data analysis, and writing outcome artifacts (paper/blog/presentation, tech. specifications & documentation of MVP, etc). You must be able to communicate the results of your work to OoCTO and other stakeholders, as well as to your engineering and industry peers, and demonstrate how your findings or innovation may help attract new market segments or business as well as deepen relationships with existing clients.
Though this team sits outside of normal product execution, it is not a siloed group of tinkerers with no practical impact. Our work is performed transparently and in coordination with the product and execution engineering organizations. While some projects may be academic in nature, the team is focused on increasing business value via empirical experimentation on forward-looking technologies that are adjacent to our core business.Your skills:
- Programming: strong knowledge (5+ years) of one or more of python, golang, C/C++ or rust, modern agile development practices
- Operations: knowledge of docker, modern cloud deployment and operation fundamentals
- Communication: documentation (Google docs, wiki/jira, markdown), presentations (Google slides)
- Knowledge of distributed systems, Linux, and networking
- Blog, article and research paper writing experience
- Open Source Software experience, ideally as principal
- Data analysis, machine learning, graphing and visualization
- DNS, DNSSEC, DoT, DoH, QUIC, DHCP, BGP, GSLB
- SD-WAN and modern enterprise access topologies
- Kubernetes ecosystem, service mesh, service discovery
- Linux systems programming, kernel tuning, user-space networking, BPF, XDP
- Experience participating in and/or presenting at industry conferences such as OARC, IETF, CNCF, LF
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS software that’s deployed on physical hardware and an anycasted network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API, and Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF/IPTables, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, SQL
- Python (Twisted), Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3
- Hadoop/HDFS/OpenTSDB, Grafana, Bosun
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.