Engineering Director, Ecommerce
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. As an engineering manager, you will build quickly-growing teams and support people’s development, build organizational processes, and work across the company to ensure your team is highly productive. Based in San Francisco or New York City, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitions people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
The Ecommerce team is responsible for building our Ecommerce product. We’re searching for people with a passion for supporting the people on their team, interested in developing the organization, rather than just being part of one, technical enough to deeply understand the systems they’re responsible for, and comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, with a keen eye towards detail. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
- Recruit great engineers, and help advance them in their careers.
- Empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability and simplicity.
- Drive initiatives across the entire engineering organization.
- Work with engineers to design new systems, products and features.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations.
- Having a track record building and leading successful engineering teams.
- Experience working in a high-growth environment, recruiting extraordinary people from different backgrounds.
- Leading by example, by setting the right context, and by helping others do their best work.
- Ability to flourish with an increased level of autonomy and responsibility.
- An eye for great products, and can work effectively with engineers, product managers, and designers to build them.
- Caring about system design and building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- Pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- We’re big fans of functional programming, especially given the effect of bugs in this space! We work closely with the Elixir community, and are always looking at increasing our open source contributions more broadly.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand and have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision.
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster.