Engineering Manager, Ads & Promotions Platform at DoorDash
If you care about building reliable, highly available and resilient systems, as well as being surrounded by talented engineers in a team that has a direct impact on the company’s revenue, this job is for you. You will lead the platform team that is powering all Ads and Promotions at Doordash where we connect thousands of advertisers to millions of consumers daily.
About Ads & Promotions
DoorDash has built a massive user ecosystem - millions of monthly purchasers, hundreds of thousands of merchants and active monthly dashers. As we become an essential part of local economies, relevant paid content and promotions for our audiences will enhance the core ecosystem [sticky consumers, merchants, dashers], drive company volume, and increase profitability of every DoorDash transaction. We built an Ads & Promotions business unit that provides digital solutions to help advertisers reach all DoorDash audiences - restaurant offers for consumers, product specials for merchants, gas discounts for dashers.
In this organization we are focused on surfacing relevant paid content and promotions from our merchant audience and third party advertisers to our consumer audience
What You’ll Achieve
- You will lead a team of senior backend engineers who are responsible for upkeep, scaling and integration of the main services.
- Promotion service that owns the business logic for discovery, eligibility and redemption of all promotions programs running at Doordash.
- Audience service that creates user segments and is used to target our merchandising and promotions to specific user groups.
- Building the new Ad platform including a bidding engine, attribution pipelines, and ranking models.
- Extend this platform’s offering to power more complex functionalities required by Business and Product.
- Inspire your team and others with your technical vision and create alignment necessary to execute on it.
- Architecting new solutions or solving problems related to reliability and scalability of the services under your purview
- Recruit and retain talented software engineers working on distributed systems and ML projects.
- Rolling up your sleeves with hands on contributions when necessary.
- Coaching, mentoring and providing career guidance.
- Committed - you’ll do whatever it takes to deliver.
- You’re an owner - you own the outcome regardless of the circumstances.
- Customer obsessed - you care about Doordash customers globally, from consumers to dashers and merchants.
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity - things change quickly in our fast-paced company and you’ll need to be able to keep up!
- Humble - you’re willing to jump in and you’re open to feedback.
- Growth-minded - you enjoy driving projects to hit business goals and growing Doordash business globally
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 8+ years of industry experience
- You have at least 3+ years experience in an engineering management role.
- Prior experience in distributed systems, data engineering or ML.
- Platform Engineering - you've built highly available, low latency systems at scale. Bonus if you worked on projects that served a multi leg Marketplace.
Familiarity with the following technologies
- Familiar with Backend and distributed system design, building scalable, highly available and extensible backend systems
- Familiar with Kotlin, Redis, Cassandra, React, GraphQL.
- Familiar with a cloud based environment and technologies such as AWS, Kubernetes.
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.