Engineering Manager (API Internal) at Peloton
We are looking for a “hands-on” development engineering manager to help build out and staff a new Product Engineering team at Peloton. This newly formed team will focus on Product Engineering internal tech initiatives that will enable us to build our platform of the future. The team will partner with other Product Engineering API teams to chart out their roadmap. Some of the aspects we envision this team working on include: scalability efforts of the platform to enable 100% growth year over year, breaking apart a monolith system, improving our CI/CD and monitoring story, enabling teams to set up services with minimal effort, improving developer efficiency, building out a robust end-to-end test suite, and much more.
Power the Peloton Experience
As a member of Peloton’s Product Engineering API team, you’ll be building out technology solutions that enable every user experience across our Bike, Tread, Mobile, Web, and TV platforms for a global audience. We enable our members to take live and on-demand classes across any number of fitness disciples, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. You will be leading and building out a team of talented engineers in ensuring our members get the best possible experience.
We are building an API that changes people’s lives, you can check out the Peloton members page and see what our users are up to https://www.facebook.com/groups/pelotonmembers/
- Staff and manage a team of engineers responsible for developing and ensuring our members have a world-class experience
- Implement best practices in architectural design and mentor the team in these practices
- Solid understanding of a Microservices Architecture, with deep knowledge and experience in designing and building services
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Design, Product, Program Management, Client teams, and UX to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives including defining objectives and driving new architecture.
- Instill a culture of automation, re-use and engineering efficiency
- Identify cross-functional dependencies and remove blockers when needed across engineering, design, and product management
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality
- 8+ years of software development experience, with experience building complex backend systems
- 3+ years of leadership experience in team leadership and technology management
- Passion for building a scalable backend architecture that supports a rapidly growing user base
- Well-proven understanding of system design, API design, and database design
- Ability to evaluate and communicate different engineering solutions and trade-offs
- Solid understanding and hands-on experience building out a CI/CD workflow and how to incorporate test automation into development flows
- Experience working with Agile methodology and delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team
- Ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of individuals to maximize team effectiveness; guide individuals when needed for coaching or mentoring
- Ability to mediate between competing technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers
- Effectively communicate between teams and within teams to drive alignment and increase effectiveness on delivery
BONUS POINTS IF YOU:
- Experience with transitioning from a monolith to an SOA
- Experience with Python and Kotlin development
- Roll up your sleeves and take on development work
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Peloton believes in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. We put our users, members, and customers first and we obsess over every touchpoint of the member experience – be it the studio, product, or showroom. We like to hire the best and encourage all our associates to be Peloton’s brand ambassadors. Most importantly, we know that together we go far.