Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Engineering Manager of the Application Platform team, you will lead a team developing a platform to power applications for over a million users around the globe. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If your passion is building high functioning teams to build products customers rely on every day, this is the right job for you. This role can be worked remotely within the United States or Canada or from our offices in New York City, Cambridge, MA, and Palo Alto, CA.What You'll Be Doing:
- Manage a team of back-end software engineers developing gRPC APIs and operating Kubernetes.
- Collaborate across the organization and consistently interface with UI, UX, Support, and Product teams.
- Develop Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and utilize these KPIs to measure and report on the success of the team.
- Review and give input on architectural system designs.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to define yearly and quarterly roadmaps.
- Pair with tech-leads on delivery of features, and resolutions of defects.
- Career coaching including performance assessment, and career development.
- Work with our product teams to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Drive architecture for complex systems by determining current limitations and working with the team to come up with solutions.
- Escalation path for the product on-call rotation.
- Technologies we use: Kubernetes, Go, gRPC, MySQL, Istio, Prometheus.
- Experience building software used by 1000s of users.
- Integrate regular customer feedback into software development practices, and leverage customer feedback to drive features with a focus on always delivering value to DigitalOcean customers.
- Awareness or willingness to learn Golang gRPC principles and Kubernetes operations.
- Regularly give feedback to team members on wins, and areas to improve.
- Lead a team where individuals enjoy coming to work, know what needs to be done, and have the resources to get their job done.
- Efficiently manage the team to deliver value for users and the business.
- Identify issues impeding software development (across all phases of a service lifecycle from conception to maintenance) and collaborate with the team to resolve and improve.
- A commitment to monitoring and observability.
- Systems thinking.
- Strong opinions, weakly held.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!