Engineering Manager (Back End) at <intent>
<intent> isn’t your usual company. Our work is powered by the premise that every person at Intent is unique, possessing a distinct set of skills, personality, and passions. We embrace our collective talents to tackle technical challenges, refine our successfully disruptive business ideas and co-create one of the most human and inspiring work cultures out there. We are a team of deep collaborators, valuing and rewarding shared success over individual heroics.
As an Engineering Manager (Back End) at <intent>, you’ll code and innovate on products that are changing the e-commerce industry. Our engineering teams help the world’s leading travel companies to serve tens of millions of ads every day around the world. These ads provide an exceptional user experience to help shoppers find and compare prices, while simultaneously increasing brand profitability.
In our engineering work, we balance cutting-edge technologies with industry-proven practices. Across our projects, you will see a variety of languages, libraries, and databases. Our agile way of working is founded on many years of experience; you will be working with accomplished innovators in the software community. We deploy often and pride ourselves on owning the process of building software end-to-end. This means we are involved in brainstorming, design, development, deployment, and monitoring as much as we want to be.
What You Will Do:
- Supervise and lead an engineering squad responsible for building, maintaining and improving our high-availability, high-throughput, mission-critical ad serving platform and platform services
- Coordinate with team members, including product managers, to help determine the most appropriate priority of stories and tasks based on value, cost, and interdependence
- Help team members grow, support and hold the squad and members accountable.
- Collaborate with other teams to build the future designs of our distributed systems and their interactions.
- Demonstrated experience as an engineering manager (minimum 1 year)
- Versed in giving and receiving feedback, mentoring
- Proven experience collaborating with stakeholders to form a prioritized action plan
- Server-side/Backend Java development (minimum 6 years)
- Experience developing mission-critical high volume, low latency systems.
- Experience developing highly available distributed systems/microservices.
- Ability to: reason with complex distributed systems; develop and test hypothesis that resolve and/or improve their performance, reliability and cost of maintenance
- Monolith to Microservice migrations on a high-volume, mission critical system
- Demonstrated experience with Spring, Hibernate, Jetty, Kinesis.
- Demonstrated DevOps/Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) skills: e.g. AWS/ECS; Terraform; Docker; Serverless architectures, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Deployment (CD), Monitoring production systems
- Interest and/or experience in Domain Driven Design
<intent> is the data science company for the world’s leading online commerce and travel brands. Our Predictive Intelligence Platform uses patented technology to predict user behavior in real-time and identify the future value of every user. Over 450 innovative brands from more than 40 countries trust Intent’s real-time predictions to deliver personalized user experiences that maximize utility and ROI.
Our team is over 100 people and our offices span globally. We’re headquartered in NYC with locations in London, Kuala Lumpur, and Sao Paulo.
Every day, we’re inspired by two pursuits. First, we’re building novel products that are upending e-commerce. Second, we’re building the company we’ve always wanted to work for — one that’s open, human and collaborative, where very smart people come together to share ideas and get things done. We’re included on Built in NYC's Best Places to Work list and have been on Crain’s 100 Best Places to Work in NYC list for seven years running.
Love Your Job:
Our employees enjoy coming to work, and we let them know they're valued.
Our vibrant team accomplishes a lot every day, but we insist upon work/life balance so things never become stale. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we take our work very seriously.
We believe that in order for our employees to perform their best, they need access to strategic decisions, and so our flat structure and open communication invite innovation from all levels — ideas flow freely.
We offer competitive compensation, stock options, and great perks & benefits, including:
- Flexible paid time off
- A generous parental leave policy
- A beautiful, dog-friendly office in SoHo with drinks and snacks
- An open environment with lots of natural light
- Annual $2,000 learning budget and Citi Bike membership
- Access to Fond, our employee perks program featuring deals and discounts on hundreds of products and services
- Access to Sherpaa, a telehealth service with 24/7 support
- Company-wide social events, and more!
So what are you waiting for? Apply with your resume in just a few clicks!