Engineering Manager (Backend) at Electric
Electric is a Series B startup backed by Bessemer Venture Partners, Bowery Capital, GGV Capital, Primary Venture Partners and led by a team of seasoned entrepreneurs, operators, and technologists. With software forming the foundation of every office, Electric is the world’s first all-in-one, modern IT support solution that can truly meet the needs of growing businesses. Through a chat interface, personalized service, and flat-rate pricing we keep our client’s email, computers, Wi-Fi and software running smoothly at a fraction of the cost and headaches normally experienced with traditional managed service providers.
Our company is a fun, fast-paced environment with enormous opportunities for career advancement.
What You’ll Do
- Lead a team of engineers by setting expectations and goals, providing guidance and actionable feedback
- Support your team’s growth and career development goals through active mentorship and coaching
- Own, commit and drive accountability for your team’s roadmap and milestones
- Align with the rest of the engineering management team and implement effective engineering processes and policies
- Anticipate, identify and clear roadblocks for the team. Provide clear direction and effective decision making where necessary
- Represent the team to product & engineering groups internally and externally
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment.
Our Tech Stack
- Postgres and DynamoDB as primary data stores
- Python-based serverless functions hosted on AWS Lambda
- Front-End applications built on Storybook and React UI components
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering management role with multiple direct reports.
- Clear and compelling verbal and communication skills to audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Ability to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company
- Experience leading inclusive teams and empowering people to do the best work of their careers
What to Expect
- Learn about Electric and engineering culture
- Develop an understanding for the mission of existing product & engineering pods
- Introduce yourself to each of the engineers on your pod, understand their motivations & career goals
- Partner with Engineering Directors to develop a meaningful vision for your pod and set goals to meet it
- Hold regular 1:1s with engineers on your pod to maintain a pulse on productivity, engagement, and satisfaction
- Identify areas of improvement on your pod and possible solutions for overcoming them
- Use measurable outcomes to proactively communicate on progress towards quarterly milestones and OKRs
- Represent your pod at product planning and engineering all-hands meetings
- Contribute and own your pod roadmap for upcoming quarters including proposals for engineering estimates, staffing needs, and architectural changes