Engineering Manager - Cloud Storage Software at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Cloud Storage Team is welcoming a new technical engineering manager to support our engineers, grow our culture, and lead the team developing our software-defined Storage products. Upon selection, you will be responsible for guiding the development of a mixed-skill engineering team, facilitating communications, providing clarity of vision and priority, and empowering the team to create creative solutions for our partners and customers.
This team focuses on supporting the operations and development of business logic, middleware, edge, and API solutions of DigitalOcean Storage products such as our S3-compatible object store, Spaces and our distributed block storage solution, Volumes.
If you are someone who shares our passions for technology solutions, healthy services, and being loving service providers, team members, and leaders, we want to meet you!How You’ll Contribute:
- Growing and leading a highly-collaborative remote engineering team
- Developing and shepherding complex cloud storage engineering projects
- Helping the team achieve higher standards of performance and product quality
- Introducing and improving processes for team performance and quality-of-life
- Collaborating with product owners and cross-functional teams to design idiomatic, feature-rich, and operationally sustainable software solutions
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication and a fair, but growth-oriented, distribution of responsibilities between team members
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- A passion for leading, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Interest in distributed systems design and implementation at scale or in the cloud
- An appreciation for process and developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, and product groups
- Familiarity with end-to-end quality best practices and their implementation
- Enthusiasm for staffing, interviewing, growing, and retaining teams
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!