Engineering Manager: Cloud Storage Systems at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Cloud Storage Team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers and engineering culture and lead the team developing our software-defined Storage products. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating and monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineer’s performance, providing coaching, and counseling as needed.
The Storage Systems Team focuses on supporting the operations and development of the data persistence layer of storage products. The team has responsibility for the lifecycle of hardware nodes inclusive of evaluation, certification, provisioning, and ongoing systems management as well as the underlying persistence-layer software such as Ceph.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process, who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role reports into the Engineering Manager, Storage and is currently only available as a remote position.What You’ll Be Working On:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class remote engineering team
- Planning and executing complex technical projects in and related to cloud storage
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of storage projects
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches
- Developing processes and tools to improve team performance and quality-of-life
- Developing processes and tools to improve product performance and quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product and feature rollouts from requirements analysis through implementation and long-term operations
- Collaborating with cross functional teams in infrastructure, operations, support, core services and systems engineering to design idiomatic, sustainable solutions
- Supporting the goals and developing growth opportunities for team members
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication between team members
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the engineering team
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Domain experience with the cloud, storage, and/or physical infrastructure systems
- Experience shipping products at scale and on-time, with a focus on the customer
- Experience managing and delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC
- Experience developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, and product groups
- Experience with end-to-end quality best practices and their implementation
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, building, and retaining teams
- Experience conveying complex ideas in written, verbal and presentational formats
- Working knowledge of Ceph is a bonus but not required
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!