Engineering Manager, Consumer Platform at Rent the Runway
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:51 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, July 29, 2021
About Us:Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”About the Team:Our Engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.The Consumer Platform team is being newly formed to improve, own and extend core services and applications in the consumer engineering area, including but not limited to: Our internal API gateway, our front end services, and our internal CMS. This team will collaborate with and provide tools to other teams in the Consumer Engineering teams, including teams responsible for the browsing experience, membership state, retention and growth among others. About the Job:If there was a theme to this team it is in reducing feedback loops for our customers, our engineers and our business stakeholders: how quickly can I get a product I want on its way to me? How long will it take to iterate on a feature? How soon will I know how effective our product is? As such, we’ll be covering a lot of ground quickly, and are looking for someone with architectural experience, a point of view, and perhaps most importantly, an open and empathetic ability to collaborate with stakeholders and fellow team members. A product sensibility paired with engineering experience will be an asset in this role.What You’ll Do:
- Lead a team of diverse and talented software engineers (front end, back end and/or full stack)
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder as necessary and removing roadblocks
- Lead prioritization efforts and provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- You have extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- You have hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience.
- You have a strong appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work.
- You have a passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity.
- You have experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, Java microservices, algorithms, and relational/NoSQL databases.
- You have experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux).
- You have experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization.
- You’re able to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- You’re able to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Read Full Job Description