Engineering Manager - Creator Tools
Greater NYC Area
We are looking for a technical leader to join our growing engineering team at Teachable. Our engineering team is structured into small pods of four to six engineers, each led by a pod lead. For this role you will oversee a team of engineers on the Creator Team, supporting team members and ensuring the successful execution of their projects and operations.
The Creator team owns the core workflows, services, and tools that empower our creators to share their knowledge on the Teachable Platform.
While you will not be expected to write critical path code, you will spend some time coding and be the technical owner on your team. You achieve results not through micromanagement, but rather by empowering your team and helping them to run autonomously to deliver great work. You are a growing people manager who cares about the well-being and growth of your engineers, you have experience coaching your team members to success and developing their careers.
Read up more about engineering here in How We Code at Teachable
- Manage 3-6 engineers building features, tools, and infrastructure.
- Lead successful development and delivery of team projects and operations
- Mentor direct reports, provide performance feedback and help them develop their careers.
- Collaborate with product, design, and other teams to set the teams roadmap and balance new features with technical debt.
- Partner with engineering leadership to help determine engineering team strategy, tackle team-wide inefficiencies.
- Upholds Teachable values, including working as part of a diverse team.
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years of combined tech leadership and people management.
- Previously lead and/or managed a team of 3 or more engineers.
- Hands-on coding experience developing scalable web applications.
- Extensive experience shipping user-facing product, preferably in the consumer space.
- Proficient at project management; can make the right tradeoffs to ship projects on time with high quality.
- Experience mentoring individual contributors of different seniority levels and expertise (frontend/backend).
- Passion for continuous improvement and proven ability to instill in their teams
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our thousands of instructors have earned more than $300M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. If you're on the fence about applying, please do! Additionally, Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Read Full Job Description