Engineering Manager, Growth at Meetup
Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. At Meetup, we’ve made it our mission to empower personal growth through real human connections because we see a future built on deep trust and collective effort. We are creating a world where people can turn to each other to improve their lives.
Software Engineering Managers at Meetup build high performing teams. We value engineering managers who are keen to stay close to the ground and the product, and who guide teams to work more effectively.
This is a unique opportunity to grow as a manager while also contributing to the evolution of the code base. If you’re currently a hands-on engineer and want to gain more experience in managing engineers, this is the role for you.
You're our ideal team member if you:
- Are a leader with strong desire in building a highly productive team while creating a fulfilling work experience for engineers.
- Thrive in improving team processes and collaboration methods, focusing on Agile practices.
- Have experience managing or mentoring local and remote engineers in technical and non-technical topics.
- Have experience recruiting engineers, either by interviewing or setting up recruiting processes.
- Are adaptable, and can handle changing requirements and difficult problems. You build process for the long-term while managing iterative, short-term needs.
- Have a strong desire to continue doing hands-on engineering as well as encouraging practices like pairing, TDD, and vertical slicing of requirements.
What you get to do:
- Partner with the Director of Engineering to shape how the team is organized and continuously improve how the team works.
- Be an effective people manager that focuses on coaching, team culture, and recruiting.
- Actively participate in your reports' professional development through coaching, timely and specific feedback, regular 1-on-1s, and assistance in growth opportunities.
- Unblock team members by working with neighboring teams to determine solutions and timelines.
- Manage engineers with different experience/skillset than your own
- Work with our recruiting partners on outreach efforts, interview prep, and interviewing
- Write code!
Our engineers are smart, flexible, great problem solvers. Managers are responsible for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. We build fast and release code often, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes effective.
Check out our engineering blog: https://medium.com/making-meetup
Meetup employees are bold, supportive, and passionate about empowering people to come together and create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams in a safe and inclusive environment. You in?