Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Help us improve a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Better is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our DevOps team. The DevOps team is small, and you will be a huge part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different tools, and doing as you see fit to fix problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll be growing, leading and mentoring a team of 5-10 software engineers. Projects that your team could own:
- Work on our Kubernetes cluster that helps us deploy 50-100 times/day with no downtime
- Improve our CI pipelines that run thousands of tests across hundreds of thousands of lines of code in a few minutes (with about 85% coverage)
- Advancing our terraform into building blocks for other Engineering teams to use without needing direct mentorship from the DevOps team for day to day tasks.
- Automating any remaining manual processes so the DevOps team can always focus on high value tasks.
- The tech team is currently 120+ engineers but growing quickly
- Erik Bernhardsson (CTO) used to run the data team and the music recommendation team at Spotify. Erik is the open source author of a few popular projects like Annoy and Luigi and writes a blog about (mostly) data.
- Our services are deployed in Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes (provisioned with kops but moving toward EKS) running on AWS.
- Most of our services use Node.js and Python 3.
- On the frontend we use Ember, React, and Sass.
- We use Postgres via AWS RDS as our primary database engine.
- At the edge we use Traefik as our API gateway.
- We make heavy use of functional testing with Selenium, Zalenium, and BrowserStack.
- We practice continuous integration and continuous deployment (using Buildkite), deploying to production 50+ times a day.
- We practice Infrastructure-as-Code and GitOps using Terraform and Atlantis.
- We use Datadog for metrics, LogDNA for logging, and Rollbar for exception tracking.
- We use PagerDuty for on-call and incident management.
- We implement ChatOps with Hubot and Slack.
- We take documentation seriously; for example, major decisions are made through Lightweight Architecture Decision Records and production issues are always followed up with incident reports.
- For business intelligence we use Looker, Metabase and Tableau.
- For analytics we use Segment, Amazon Redshift, and (soon) Apache Airflow.
- At least 1 year of experience leading engineers and at least 6 years of experience building software
- You want to lead by example and aren’t afraid to be hands on – we expect you to spend 20-50% of your time writing code, depending on the day
- You take recruiting super seriously
- You are happy to give engineers a lot of freedom as long as they deliver
- You’re interested in running a software engineering team and solving sophisticated problems that have a real world impact
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.