Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Engineering Manager for Internal Services & Tech Platform
Gemini has about one hundred software engineers spread across a dozen project teams. We are seeking an Engineering Manager to oversee two of those teams: Tech Platform and Compliance Tech. Both teams have excellent engineers and great technical leadership, but they report to a number of different managers, none of whom are focused on these Tech Platform or Compliance Team in particular. This is a new position, created as the Gemini engineering team has grown. In this role, you’ll be responsible for helping these teams define their roadmaps, plans, and goals, helping them achieve those goals, and guiding each team member to develop their career at Gemini.
Tech Platform is responsible for developer tooling, code and architectural best practices, common libraries, and building tools that aid in production monitoring and support. Compliance Tech builds internal-facing and customer-facing software to support the needs of Gemini’s Compliance, Trust & Safety, and Risk teams, including anti-fraud and anti-money-laundering work. Both teams involve coordinating with a number of stakeholders, and frequent communication and coordination with Gemini’s infrastructure team, data team, and almost all of the other development teams.
- Rapidly develop an understanding of relevant parts of our technology stack and assume technical ownership of major components of our code base.
- Ability to communicate at all levels from senior leaders to individual contributors, including technical and non-technical audiences.
- Search for the truth in product conceptualization and development, ensuring designs and implementations are fully aligned with the company mission and product goals.
- Assess the ramifications of software changes and own risk identification/mitigation through effective software development, testing and deployment practices
- Improve developer experience by adopting tools and policies that raise productivity for the entire engineering organization
- Guide technical direction across multiple teams, including choices around language/framework, system architecture/infrastructure, best patterns and practices
- Demonstrate persistence when faced with roadblocks, dispatching them efficiently and pulling in others as necessary while requiring minimal direction/oversight
- Effectively resolve ambiguity, analyzing complex requirements and breaking down features and initiatives into tactical tasks
- Effectively navigate the technical trade-offs
- Help deliver software that positively impacts multiple teams with sweeping improvements
- Own the team’s output, taking responsibility for everyone’s performance
- Quickly ramp up on relevant industry and competitive trends
- 8+ years of experience in software development & delivery
- 3+ years of managing engineering teams, delivering high quality software for customers
- Technical aptitude to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions
- Experience with modern software engineering concepts
- Expertise in Scala or in a similar backend programming languages, such as Java or C#
- Experience establishing successful partnerships with key stakeholders such as product managers, project managers, and business owners.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.