Engineering Manager, Payments (E-commerce) at Peloton
Our e-commerce engineering team builds software to support our partners throughout the business, including sales, marketing, support, accounting, logistics, operations, and studio.
We are looking for motivated and proactive engineering managers with a strong technical background, experience leading engineering teams, proven leadership skills, a love for working with people, and a track record of delivering high-quality software.In This Role, You Will
Cultivate a deep understanding of day-to-day e-commerce domain expertise while working on a cross-functional agile team, collaborating closely with engineers, product managers, and designers, focusing on delivering value to our members, while building out our in-house e-commerce platform.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Staff and lead a cross-functional, full-stack engineering team responsible for the architecture and performance of our e-commerce applications.
- Motivate, lead, coach, and mentor software engineers.
- Participate and drive initiatives relating to people management including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, career advancement, training, etc.
- Drive technical initiatives to build clean, robust, maintainable, and performant systems.
- Improve processes and collaboration within the team and across groups.
- Crafting a thoughtful, long-term technical strategy that anticipates future needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management and UX in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives
- Active engagement in technical discussions during architecture meetings, code reviews, and design docs to help promote a culture of learning and constant improvement.
- Achieve on-time delivery while defending the integrity of the codebase, never compromising on code quality.
- Establish a relationship with business stakeholders.
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members.
- Establish team level KPIs to measure the effectiveness of your team and impact on acquisition metrics.
- Instill a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Identify cross-functional dependencies and remove blockers when needed across engineering, design, and product management.
- Work closely with technical program managers to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
- Be able to get your hands dirty and contribute technically to projects and the codebase.
- Ability to say NO, respectfully challenge ideas, and call out potential trade-offs.
- Become a domain expert in e-commerce by working closely with our product managers and stakeholders.
- ~5+ years of software development experience in development. Demonstrable experience in having deployed applications commercially into production.
- ~4+ years of leadership experience in technology management.
- Ability to empathize with your engineers, customers, members, and stakeholders.
- Passionate about technology, new ideas, and always willing to learn new things.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- A love for clean, elegant code.
- Deep understanding of agile, lean, and DevOps principles.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Familiarity with modern tech stacks and frameworks.
- Experience delivering products collaborating and partnering with Product, Design, UX teams.
- Ability to mediate between competing product and technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers.
- Capacity to work in high growth, fast-paced environments and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities.
- Effectively communicate between teams and within teams in order to drive alignment and increase effectiveness on delivery.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Acute attention to detail and dedication to quality.
Bonus Points If You
- Enjoy tech talks, katas, lunch and learns, and geeking over programming languages, architecture, category theory, or whatever engineering topic you are passionate about.
- Experience working within e-commerce and third-party payment gateways.
- Attend meetups, conferences, and participate in the software engineering community.
- Contribute to open-source projects.
- Experience migrating a monolithic system to an ecosystem of microservices.
- Have tried Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- Experience with or knowledge of DDD, CQRS and Event Sourcing.
- Worked on a system that had to deal with internationalization and localization.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.